Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 11, 2009, 07:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default 24" LED Backlit Monitor

So, I'm considering getting at least a 24" LCD this winter, and I'm curious as to what models you'd suggest.

I'd prefer if it was LED backlit since I imagine that'll help the contrast ratio quite a bit. As for TN vs PVA/IPS, don't really care. My 22" is TN and I'm fine with it and I have my Spyder2Express to calibrate it to some extent anyways. Also needs to have VESA mounts, or at least a high-adjustable stand.

DELL G2410 24 inch Wide Green Flat Panel Monitor : Computer Components | Dell Canada That is roughly what I want I guess, but I'm undecided upon 1080 vs 1200. I would prefer the extra vertical space, but it seems to be becoming a rare thing.

Price wise, under $500?

I haven't extensively looked, but there doesn't seem to be many LED backlit monitors. All I see on NCIX is a Acer which lacks VESA mounts and no height adjustment.
Old November 11, 2009, 08:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was expecting the price of a 24" led backlit lcd to be more expensive than that! I'm also in the market for a 24". Looks like I've found a replacement for my current 22" dell. After xmas more than likely.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old November 11, 2009, 09:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You have to remember that this isn't a locally dimmed LED monitor, so it's not much different than any standard CCFL unit. If you don't mind spending a bit extra, you can get one of the new 24" H-IPS monitors on the market. The only problem is that they're wide-gamut, so colors will look very saturated outside of color managed programs. However, if you have an ATI card, you can enable EDID recognition in CCC and it will put the monitor in regular SRGB color space.
Old November 12, 2009, 09:37 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I read that LED backlights are popular because they reduce power consumption, have a longer lifespan, and use less chemicals that precipitate hippy hate.

I would definitely want the 1200 over the 1080.

YoukonTrooper, will you suggest some models of new 24" H-IPS monitors? Thanks.
Old November 13, 2009, 09:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
YoukonTrooper, will you suggest some models of new 24" H-IPS monitors? Thanks.
Yeah, never seen any either. I looked at the Samsung cPVA and it doesn't sound that appealing seeing as the main purpose will be gaming, though when I work with photos and what not, I'd like it fairly accurate, but I imagine my Spyder2Express will suffice for that.

And one of my friends in the US has the Dell in my first post and says it's great. Though of course that's his subjective opinion. He says it looks better than all his friend's 24" LCDs. And well my m1330 has a LED backlit screen and it looks quite good, however it's also glossy (which I hate) and that probably contributes to why it looks better as well.
Old November 13, 2009, 03:07 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I don't know how comprehensive this Comprehensive List of IPS Based LCD Monitors is but I refer to it a lot.

Have you made up your mind?

NCIX has the Samsung 2443BW-HAS on sale for @$300. The reviews I have found say it is a great monitor for a TN panel.
Old November 13, 2009, 07:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit View Post
I don't know how comprehensive this Comprehensive List of IPS Based LCD Monitors is but I refer to it a lot.

Have you made up your mind?

NCIX has the Samsung 2443BW-HAS on sale for @$300. The reviews I have found say it is a great monitor for a TN panel.
Well time is on my side, thus I'm in no hurry. Merely looking for ideas.

And I've looked into that Samsung, just that it's a kind of old model and I think newer stuff could be a bit better.

Generally speaking, it seems there isn't a huge selection of 1920x1200 LCDs up here.
Old November 13, 2009, 08:22 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I hear ya. My HD+ monitor went fzt so I fell back to dual monitors. I have enough pixels to keep me happy but I am on the lookout for the next good thing.

It surprises me but it doesn't that there are so many 'wide screen' monitors out there. I saw the same progressions a while ago in laptops. I had a Dell D600 for work which was a great laptop and I managed to score the high resolution screen which gave me a lot of pixels. Then the new laptops were coming out championing wide screen, wide screen, wide screen but the screens had much less pixels. Chalk another failure up to the ignorance of the masses.

I suppose I will hold out and hope the 30" panels come down in price a bit without falling off sharply in quality.
Old November 13, 2009, 09:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well 1920x1080 isn't terrible, still a bit better than 1680x1050, but ratio wise it is a loss of space. And well I think 24" is about all I can fit with my current setup, otherwise I'll need to be filling a bunch of holes in my wall and moving my shelf and wall mount around, which I'd rather not have to do.

What I'd really like, the 24" UltraSharp Though sitting at $750, it's unaffordable, but it was on RFD a while ago for like $450 or something. I knew I should of just bought it, but didn't. Hopefully a similar deal comes around again.
Old November 13, 2009, 10:00 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

There's one that recently popped up on NCIX, have a look NCIX.com - Buy Acer S243HL Bmii 24IN Ultraslim Widescreen LCD Monitor 1920X1080 LED Backlit 8000000:1 2MS VGA 2HDMI - ET.FS3LP.001 In Canada.