Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 5, 2011, 05:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I live across a bridge from U.S and I do NOT buy anything over there. Buy Canadian! At the end of the day,you save nothing when crossing the border.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old January 5, 2011, 05:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo' power View Post
Did anyone check the last date that I posted in this thread?
The thread may have been created last last year however the information and viewpoints people are presenting on the topic are still going to help those whom are contemplating the same thing.
Old November 29, 2013, 09:57 AM
Rookie

They sure do (now almost 3 years later)

I googled, I came, I saw... and only due to the age, I'll ask if anyone knows if the rates have changed. I heard from a guy that heard from a guy that there was some $400 fee that applied to TVs. That sounds absurd to me, but I figured I should search and find out. I didn't find anything, but wanted an excuse to post anyway lol.

Assuming its just taxes (which I'd have to pay here as well but on a higher amount) and duty < 6%... its totally worth it.

To the "Buy Canadian" argument... yeah, well... when my country supports me I'll support it. I think its silly to get ripped off out of a sense of, what, civic pride? We're not talking a few dollars here. The BEST price I've seen on the TV I'm looking for is $2300 in Canada. Vs. $1570 in the US with free shipping. That leads me to the warranty question... let's say you could go to the local store and they say the TV costs $1570 with no warranty, but you can pay $730 (47%!!) for a whopping ONE YEAR warranty. Who among you would take that deal? Is the warranty even void? Of course not... its just a huge hassle. If I buy the TV and it dies in the first year, I'll just have to play dumb on the phone and be willing to drive it back down to the border to deal with the exchange procedure. But mostly its a matter of assessing the risks and be willing to take the "sucks to be me" if you 're the one in a thousand that get burned on a bad set.

Back to taxes, you save the 12% on the difference (-$87.60) and maybe (usually not) pay duty of 3.5% ($54.95) to 6% ($94.20) which means the after tax price is possibly even better. Even significantly better if you get through with no duty and WAY better if no taxes. Yes, that is a possibility, especially if you're gone > 48 hours. I've gone just for the day and brought back > $500 in stuff and they just waved me through (and the < 24 hour allowance now is zero).

That is, of course, unless there's this mystery $400 fee for TVs... if anyone knows if there's any truth to that, please let me know. The only thing I can thing of is that possibly the enviro/recycling fee applies, but as long as its applied "fairly" (same as in BC for my case), it a) shouldn't be that bad and b) should be no worse off than if I bought it locally where I'd have to pay it anyway.