Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 3, 2009, 03:15 PM
MVP

Default Colour Calibration?

I've got a dell 2209WA that I'm looking to do a calibration on to get the best look out of it that I can get
calibrated, Ive sort of narrowed my choices of calibration tools to either a
spyder 3 pro Spyder3Pro - Datacolor - Global Leader in Color Management Solutions
or a pantone hueypro
www.pantone.com/Pages/products/product.aspx?pid=562
anyone have any experience with either (or both would be better)
Old November 3, 2009, 03:20 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

That's the one I use, actually my Wife: X-Rite: Get exactly the color you need, every time, anywhere in the world.

We tried the Spyder3Pro, and we did not like the result.
Old November 3, 2009, 04:02 PM
MVP

it looks like a great model...pricetag is about a hundred bucks more than I'd like to spend (~150 US...poor college student these days, lol)
but it sounds like that xrite is affiliated with pantone in some manner (pantone banner is in the bottom corner)
Old November 3, 2009, 05:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I owned a Spyder2Pro and X-Rite i1 at the same time. I sold the Spyder2Pro.
Old November 3, 2009, 05:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
I owned a Spyder2Pro and X-Rite i1 at the same time. I sold the Spyder2Pro.
What were the main advantages of one over the other?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 3, 2009, 05:51 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Easier to use and configure, and the color output is much better with the i1 model.
Old November 3, 2009, 06:06 PM
MVP

yeah, just as I thought, the x-rite is a pantone unit
X-rite features
  • Calibrates and profiles LCD, CRT and laptop displays
  • Measures ambient light
  • Compact colorimeter for emissive color measurements offers same sleek lightweight design as the original Eye-One Display
  • New enhanced sensor provides:
    • Highest repeatability for consistent calibration and profiling results
    • Fastest measurements for quick profiling
    • Highest sensitivity in dark areas for better control in shadow detail and more neutral gray scale
  • Detachable ambient light head to capture ambient light measurements - also serves as a dust protector for your device!
  • Easily attaches to both LCD and CRT monitors with built-in counterweight and suction cups
  • Use at multiple workstations - no additional licensing fee
  • USB powered
HueyPro features
World’s first built-in ambient light sensor enables consistency never seen before in any lighting condition.
-Embedded with a high-precision sensor, huey automatically measures the ambient light within a room for a new level of precision calibration. Even after the calibration process, huey will observe the light falling on the display and automatically adjust the screen brightness for accurate onscreen viewing any time of the day.

TRUE COLOR. From monitor to print.
-What you are seeing on screen and in print isn’t necessarily accurate – it all depends on your display. The color performance of monitors and printers change over time – phosphors and liquid crystals fade causing the display to drift into unknown colors. hueyPRO calibration brings those mysterious colors back into the open, allowing accurate color to be displayed.

Multiple monitor calibration increases color fidelity from monitor-to-monitor-to-print.
-Achieve color fidelity between all displays on your system with multiple monitor calibration. Through multiple monitor calibration, you ensure accurate onscreen representation on all of your displays.

New color patches added to the calibration process for precision accuracy,

Advanced Help builtin provides step-by-step instructions through calibration and beyond.
-The ALL NEW Advanced Help found in hueyPRO walks you through not only the calibration process, but also what to do next. Detailed explanation into color science and calibration, as well as output options, gives you the choice of a quick and easy color correction or an in-depth understanding of the science behind the hueyPRO.

User-defined Whitepoint and Gamma combinations provide substantial control over the calibration and output matching.
-Tune your calibration to a specific output destination or try different settings to see what works best for you. Now you have the option to choose your own combination of Whitepoint and Gamma targeting in calibration for a new level of customized profiling.

Zero in on shadow detail and highlights with the enhanced LCD calibration.
-Take control of your LCD Contrast and Brightness by visually tuning the controls to your custom viewing environment. Previously only available for CRT calibration, you can now calibrate your Contrast and Brightness on any LCD display with the appropriate controls.

Professional-grade Optical Sensors
-huey is designed with the same advanced optical color sensors as the Eye-One®

the huey pro uses the same sensors as the x-rite...I may end up getting the Hueypro..depending on if I can get any other info out of it
Old November 3, 2009, 06:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Did you mainly use the auto settings or did you spend a lot of time fine tuning the colour?

At one time, video cards used to come with a colour "wheel" and the software to properly match the CRT to those colours... wouldn't it be nice if they started doing that again???? ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 3, 2009, 06:11 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

IIRC the Xrite is the same hardware as the Lacie Blue eye....with the Lacie having better software....and a bigger price tag ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 3, 2009, 06:11 PM
MVP

yeah...it would be nice if they came with calibration stuff (even the software ones I dont find do too well)...but it would add 50 cents to their bottom line per card..so we'd end up getting hit for like...30 bucks extra, lol