Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 24, 2009, 04:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
Iso works great. Don't be afraid to use a lot. You're going to have to wipe it with a dry cloth afterward to get rid of the streaks..

I also use rubber gloves.. that shit dries out your hands in a hurry! It evaporates so fast.
will do,just need to purchase some now.
if it's anything like isagel,yes dries hands up bad,they turn white if used to often.

"Be so good at what you do that you cant be ignored"

Old September 24, 2009, 06:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
Iso works great. Don't be afraid to use a lot. You're going to have to wipe it with a dry cloth afterward to get rid of the streaks..

I also use rubber gloves.. that shit dries out your hands in a hurry! It evaporates so fast.
if it dreis out your hands what do you think it's doing to the plastic ( my wife saw this thread and laughed here ass off) she asked if your all kids. Like i said there your lcd's. she was just telling one of here clients to stop use the clean solution they sell you it will cause the screen to go opaque ( because of the iso in it) but i will be done with the thread. but i think some of you should learn chemistry good luck
Old September 24, 2009, 06:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay51 View Post
turn white if used to often.
it happens to more then just your hands sorry just read that had to laugh sorry not tyring to piss off any body but i relate this to a friend asking me if it's ok to use gasoline to wash he's walls?
Old September 24, 2009, 07:13 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay51 View Post
if it's anything like isagel,yes dries hands up bad,they turn white if used to often.

To be on the safe side if you get 99% mix it 50% water to 50% alcohol then remove any residue with a damp cloth. Using 99% has been proven to leach plasticizers from vinyl records after extended use making them brittle. Also it is unfriendly to some of the anti reflective coatings on some LCD's.

@gingerbee, your point is well taken but there is situations where water alone will not cut it. I will wipe my screen with just water to remove dust but when there is oily residue (can't be helped, I got a 3 year old ) I wipe it with the alcohol and then a damp cloth to remove the residue, it will take time for the alcohol to react with the plastic (much more resilient than your skin) so I neutralizing it with water after just to be on the safe side. With this in mind I think it would take a long time to see any degradation of the screen, my back light bulb will probably be toast by then if not something else failing first. And I don't use most commercial cleaners since they contain even more crap like butane ( lighter fluid ).
As for you not trying to piss anyone off at the same time referring to your fellow forum members as KIDS because they may have a different point of view will definitely piss some people off no? keep it civil.
Old September 24, 2009, 07:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

oh hell no i was no referring to them as kids my wife asked if there where kids ( honesty question ) she here self has seen many tv's lcd's and plasma screen messed up because of the cleaner they sell ( which contain iso )
she was getting at the point maybe there just young and have not learned the hard way as she has see so many times in here line of work
if i worded that wrong and pissed people off i am sorry that was not my goal
Old September 24, 2009, 07:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

Yup, just water and a microfibre clocth. Dont buy any of those cleaning kits, they are a waste of money.
Old September 24, 2009, 08:46 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
oh hell no i was no referring to them as kids my wife asked if there where kids ( honesty question ) she here self has seen many tv's lcd's and plasma screen messed up because of the cleaner they sell ( which contain iso )
she was getting at the point maybe there just young and have not learned the hard way as she has see so many times in here line of work
if i worded that wrong and pissed people off i am sorry that was not my goal

No problem thanks for clearing it up . As for the damage your wife saw it there could be a lot of factors such as did they use full 99% did they neutralize with water after, was it because of over use (I know people who clean there LCD TV everyday) also some cleaners contain more than ISO, things like butane and such and there might be the possibility from your description of the damage that they used glass cleaner with ammonia which has an more immediate and stronger reaction on most plastics.
Also apparently Apple manuals for there LCD's suggest to use a solution of diluted iso alcohol, no more than a 50% solution for cleaning, don't know if this is true perhaps someone with an Apple LCD's could post.
Old September 24, 2009, 02:49 PM
MVP

Just go grab a monster lcd cleenin kit i piked 1 up for about $15;00
Old September 24, 2009, 03:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hm, are you guys talking bout the LCD screen, or the plastic surrounding the screen? I haven't cleaned my LCD screen in YEARS because I don't know how. As for the plastic surrounding it, I wipe it down when I'm dusting and cleaning.
Old September 24, 2009, 04:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Hm, are you guys talking bout the LCD screen, or the plastic surrounding the screen? I haven't cleaned my LCD screen in YEARS because I don't know how. As for the plastic surrounding it, I wipe it down when I'm dusting and cleaning.
We're talking about the plastic coating on the screen itself. Not the frame of the LCD.