thanks for the advice folks

"Be so good at what you do that you cant be ignored"

Old September 23, 2009, 11:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
Gotta ask, is isopropyl alcohol okay too?
no no no no no do not do this it will slowly eat away at the plastic omg it's your lcd all the major manufactures use water to clean
I don't think i have heard of a worse thing you can do seriously this is a very very bad idea the screen that covers your lcd is a form of plastic.
Old September 23, 2009, 11:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

have you ever seen what happen to tires that have had to much armor all on them they crack think what is going to happen to the screen over time ( but like i said it's your lcd )

Last edited by gingerbee; September 23, 2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old September 23, 2009, 11:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
have you ever seen what happen to tries that have had to much armor all on them they crack think what is going to happen to the screen over time ( but like i said it's your lcd )
tbo,i think i tied iso in he past,,and there ended up being a white film sorta on screen that would not o away...iso is pretty strong stuff..
i just using water ATM.

"Be so good at what you do that you cant be ignored"

Old September 23, 2009, 11:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Alright, thanks for letting me know. Didn't think iso would do that. We use it to clean IHS's on CPUs, but I woulda thought that it would dry up quicker than reacting to the plastic.
Old September 23, 2009, 12:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you can use it to clean computer parts there made of silicon and metal not plastic ( any alcohol will cause any plastic to start to break down ) try putting gas on there same thing it's a solvent
Old September 23, 2009, 12:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
you can use it to clean computer parts there made of silicon and metal not plastic ( any alcohol will cause any plastic to start to break down ) try putting gas on there same thing it's a solvent
+1 Don't use a solvent on an LCD. Water works fine anyways, so why deviate from something that works?
Old September 23, 2009, 12:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
no no no no no do not do this it will slowly eat away at the plastic omg it's your lcd all the major manufactures use water to clean
I don't think i have heard of a worse thing you can do seriously this is a very very bad idea the screen that covers your lcd is a form of plastic.
You're right gingerbee. alcohol will make your monitor dissolve before your very eyes!. I'm sure if you submerge your monitor is alcohol, it will probably dissolve over the space of a few decades.

Seriously, I am a heavy smoker. I use isopropyl to clean off my lcd monitor. I've been doing this for over 2 years now with absilutely no damage whatsoever. It removes the tar and nicotine without a hitch. It does leave a small film but that is easily removed with a very lightly dampened cloth. In fact, once in a while I'll wipe down the entire surface with it. I also use it to clean fingerprints off the side windows (plastic) of mine and my gf pc's. I have yet to see and dissolving, clouding, sizzling or any other chemical reaction occur.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old September 23, 2009, 12:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think the lcd wipes that you can buy use DENATURED isopropyl alcohol.

If it's glass then iso is fine..... but plastic I'd be wary...
Old September 23, 2009, 01:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo' power View Post
You're right gingerbee. alcohol will make your monitor dissolve before your very eyes!. I'm sure if you submerge your monitor is alcohol, it will probably dissolve over the space of a few decades.

Seriously, I am a heavy smoker. I use isopropyl to clean off my lcd monitor. I've been doing this for over 2 years now with absilutely no damage whatsoever. It removes the tar and nicotine without a hitch. It does leave a small film but that is easily removed with a very lightly dampened cloth. In fact, once in a while I'll wipe down the entire surface with it. I also use it to clean fingerprints off the side windows (plastic) of mine and my gf pc's. I have yet to see and dissolving, clouding, sizzling or any other chemical reaction occur.
What do you think the film left is from the reaction the alcohol is having with the plastic on your lcd ( like i said it's your lcd ) with the life expectancy of lcd's ( long time) I have seen the thin plastic get eaten through myself thanks to my wife showing me it. Caused by what people like to clean there tv's/lcd and such with ( you mean the cleaning product the tell you to use OMG) . learn chemistry ( my wife cleans hundreds of these in a week) Good luck with all your lcd's keep the iso flowing ha ha