Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 6, 2009, 01:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I have a Spyder2Express. Works nicely on my LCDs though it doesn't work on glossy ones. It was well under $100 too, so wasn't a huge deal.

Definitely made my colours (that's the Canadian spelling) far better.

The free way is to just tweak the colour settings on the monitor by eye to whatever you think looks right. There are some programs with test patterns too that might help you a bit, but it's still what you consider right, so to somebody else it could look horrible.
Old September 6, 2009, 03:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have never heard of that before "Spyder2Express" mind you I am new to the calibrations of everything lol
Old September 6, 2009, 03:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Datacolor Spyder products are all I really know of for consumer-calibration.

$78: Canada Computers - Software > Audio/Video Editing : Datacolor Spyder2 Express.
Old September 6, 2009, 03:24 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

A grainy picture while watching TV content on a PC is usually due to the tuner that you're using and not the monitor. If that's the case, the only thing you can do is get a better tuner or somehow get a better quality signal into it.
Old September 6, 2009, 05:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
A grainy picture while watching TV content on a PC is usually due to the tuner that you're using and not the monitor. If that's the case, the only thing you can do is get a better tuner or somehow get a better quality signal into it.
well I have my tv plugged in at the same time and the picture on my PC monitor is sometimes grainy but the picture on my TV is clear
Old September 6, 2009, 06:59 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
well I have my tv plugged in at the same time and the picture on my PC monitor is sometimes grainy but the picture on my TV is clear
How are you getting the TV signal to display on your PC? Are you running it through a cable or satellite box and then sending that to a TV input, or are you using an actual TV tuner card in your PC to get a cable signal? If it's the latter, then it's probably the tuner in your PC that's giving you a grainy image.
Old September 6, 2009, 08:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Doesn't Windows 7 have a LCD monitor calibration feature? I used it before and I didn't like it that much though....
Old September 7, 2009, 04:19 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
[...]how do I calibrate my computers monitor or how can I tell if it needs calibrating?
Spyder2 Express + HCFR = priceless.
Old September 7, 2009, 06:56 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
how do I calibrate my computers monitor or how can I tell if it needs calibrating?
Cheap methods here: Display Calibration - DisplayCalibration.com - Calibrate your computer display or monitor online for optimal viewing. Brightness, contrast, color depth, resolution and freeware software downloads.
This is good enough if you are not doing photo processing.
Old September 7, 2009, 10:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
How are you getting the TV signal to display on your PC? Are you running it through a cable or satellite box and then sending that to a TV input, or are you using an actual TV tuner card in your PC to get a cable signal? If it's the latter, then it's probably the tuner in your PC that's giving you a grainy image.
ok but that doesn't explain why my TV is getting better picture ( non grainy) the tv is hooked up through the video card Vis s vid plug in