Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Display Units (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/)
-   -   LAPTOP HDMI TO LCD TV HDMI NOT WORKING (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/22699-laptop-hdmi-lcd-tv-hdmi-not-working.html)

appplejack September 3, 2009 12:58 PM

LAPTOP HDMI TO LCD TV HDMI NOT WORKING

I tried to hook up my laptop with HDMI port to a Samsung LCD HD TV.
Both machines have HDMI port and I tried to connect them with a HDMI cable.
But the TV doesn't detect the laptop.
What's going on?
Could you help me? I'm using XP pro.
Thank you.

appplejack September 3, 2009 01:17 PM

It worked momentarily; I don't know what I did.
But the picture was not optimized; the edges of the screen were cut off.
My laptop supports up to 1280X800 and the LCD tv supports up to 1920X1600. Maybe that's why?

jcmaz September 3, 2009 02:07 PM

Number 1: typing in CAPS is a no no.

Why don't you try to update your video card drivers.
Look for PC only inputs on the tv manual and use that port.
Lastly, call tech support for Samsung.

grinder September 3, 2009 08:55 PM

this is where having ATI graphics on your laptop makes it all worth the while. Senses your HDMI display and fills the screen beautifully on the first try... no tweaking needed. What is your graphics chipset on the laptop?

HatHead December 11, 2009 12:39 PM

I am having similar issues and am using an ATI graphics card.

In my case, I am using an Akai 42 LCD TV. It worked awesome except for very occasionally it would lose its picture - just lines, flickering. Sometimes the color gets messed up. Sometimes there stripes/dots distributed geometrically on the screen.

Restarting the TV fixed it. It got worse over a couple of weeks. I lowered the resolution from 1024X768 on my PC to 800X600 and it worked better for a while. Now, however, it is pretty much unwatchable.

Also, this happens now when I test out the VGA connections as well (from 2 computers)

My specs:
MacBook Pro
Vista Ultimate in Windows (under bootcamp)
ATI Radeon Mobile X1600

Many thanks for any help/direction!

rjbarker December 11, 2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

this is where having ATI graphics on your laptop makes it all worth the while. Senses your HDMI display and fills the screen beautifully on the first try... no tweaking needed. What is your graphics chipset on the laptop?
No issues here at all...same connection method...Asus G51J with GeForce GTX 260M on an LG LCD 42" HD display!

Quote:

I am having similar issues and am using an ATI graphics card.
uh huh......

Anyhow, just tried it again and everything works flawlessly here..just have to set sound in Realtek Control to HDMI....one little annoyance is that the picture appears to be "cropped" at the outer edges all the wat around the screen...I'm sure can be fixed with a little more tweaking!:thumb:

gingerbee December 12, 2009 06:53 AM

you just need to find a res and aspect ratio that's supported by both for both to work:biggrin:

Polar January 28, 2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjbarker (Post 300644)
No issues here at all...same connection method...Asus G51J with GeForce GTX 260M on an LG LCD 42" HD display!

Hey, can you tell me which NVIDIA drivers you got (195.62 WHQL)? I got the same laptop and can't get any video via HDMI. The Samsung TV is also 1080p and when the cable is connected it detects the TV, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Thanks

rjbarker January 28, 2010 09:00 PM

Worked for me on 186.81, but have since installed 195.62 WHQL, haven't tried it with this Driver, Im sure it will work fine. Playing CODMW2 on my 42" LG was sweeeet.

polox40 January 28, 2010 09:07 PM

on my acer with a 9500gs i cant look at both displays at the same time, you have to switch from one to the other, vid card cant power both.