Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 12, 2007, 10:32 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Workstation displat

Hi everyone,

I need to replace my current workstation monitor--a gigantic CRT--with an LCD equivalent. After painting my room (desert gold!) and having ordered a glass-surface workdesk, I'm honestly not comfortable with placing the 40kg mini-fridge-sized CRT anywhere on it; it won't fit depth-wise either without my mouth against the screen. Here are my preferred criteria:
  • high colour/contrast vividness
  • very high display resolution: 1920x1200 or greater is preferred: I emphasize on workspace density over diagonal screen size
  • excellent colour accuracy
  • reasonable grey-to-grey response time; 8ms at most
  • a fairly wide viewing angle
  • 125-watt maximum power draw
  • a bezel thickness no greater than 2cm
  • no need for DisplayPort unless it is cost-effective for expanding the workspace onto more displays; DVI will be fine otherwise
  • fancy inputs and swivels are not necessary; BNC input support is a plus, but not required
My budget is about CAD$700, somewhat flexible, and I'd like to keep the recommendations within the 24-inch display size region to avoid space-high prices. I realize my long-decrepit 9600 SE will not take resolutions greater than the current 2048x1536, but I'll soon brick it for a pair of basic FireGL's later down the road.

So far, I've found that the Hewlett-Packard LP2465 (Home; Cnet) fits the bill quite comfortably. Again, I'm open to all suggestions.

Kind regards,
Dan

Last edited by Amon; August 12, 2007 at 10:38 PM. Reason: could a mod fix the misspelt title, thanks
Old August 12, 2007, 10:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

BenQ FP241W can be picked up for just over $700 but if you want the best possible screen you'll have to go over 24" as anything under is usually TN panel where 24" is usually IPS
Old August 12, 2007, 11:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I was going to recommend the Dell 24" but it doesn't seem to be listed anymore.

In that case, maybe a Samsung?
Old August 13, 2007, 08:52 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

That BenQ looks like a pretty good option. What do you guys think of the LG L245WP? From what I hear, it offers the biggest bang-for-buck for a 24-inch display.
Old August 13, 2007, 09:16 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I wouldn't touch the BenQ with a 10-foot pole. I recently bought one for our graphic designer and found that its color rendition -even after professional calibration- was absolutely horrible. The representation of CMYK colors was absolutely laughable while RGB colors were all over the place.

Even with a LaCie color calibrator, it was impossible to get the colors properly dialed in.

If you think you are going to get a decent 1920x1200 or greater LCD at under $700, you are in for a rude awakening. Workstation monitors don't come cheap. Unless you are talking about regular home office work and not profesional graphics work. Then I wouldn't exactly call it a workstation and I would buy a run-of-the-mill sub $800 LCD.

If it is the Professional-grade monitors you are looking for, I have to suggest the Viewsonic VX2435wm. It is a great professional-grade monitor and it is the one I bought for my graphist.

ViewSonic: Products: LCD Displays: X Series: VX2435wm
Old August 13, 2007, 09:56 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the suggestion.

Well, workstation as in more mega-sized spreadsheets, client tools, renders etc. open simultaneously. I added the good colour accuracy preference as it will also be used for watching movies and general texture work in the near future, nothing in the professional- or medical-grade region for certain.

And gaming-wise, if at all, I'll just continue to play old-school CS, Homeworld, Diablo and so forth, so response times are not as important as my criteria may have suggested.
Old August 13, 2007, 11:04 AM

In that case I would suggest a Dell......but their 22" and larger LCDs have nearly all gone MIA. BUT, I would seriously consider this one if I were you:

Home & Home Office: UltraSharp 2407WFP-HC Wide-Screen Black Flat Panel Monitor, LCD with Height Adjustable Stand

I have seen it in person and I have seriously considered picking one up for my personal use. The color gamut is spot-on with a bit of tweaking and Dell is #1 in Customer Service in my books. IMO, that is the monitor for you.
Old August 13, 2007, 11:16 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

My friend uses a Dell display, perhaps the same one. I noticed his backlight appeared dimmer towards the edges of the screen; I'll ask him tonight about it before I consider the 2407WFP. Thanks again.
Old August 13, 2007, 11:25 AM

Note that the monitor I linked to is the 2407WFP-HC which just came out last month. The HC is the High Color gamut and trust me, this monitor is second to none for the $650 it is on sale for this week.

You may also be asking far too much of a 24" monitor which you are only willing to spend $700 on.
Old August 13, 2007, 11:28 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
You may also be asking far too much of a 24" monitor which you are only willing to spend $700 on.
Indeed, though it is my first new monitor in 12 years. Looks like I'm getting this one then :)