Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 2, 2009, 01:59 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
yeah, 24bit and all - but the ones that do have high input lag / response time - and most of them are not even calibrated well out of the box !

I was so happy to see this thread I thought I was the only one using CRT - usign a professional series CRT - it tops all the LCDs I've seen, even the new Dells and HPs, even the best panels, in terms of black levels, color accuracy, etc. The only advantage I have seen of LCD over CRT is uniformity in terms of sharpness - if you are comparing against average CRTs, you will like LCD better despite its problems - BUT comparing to a high-end most expensive CRT (at the time) no way, I have yet to see any LCD come even close to my CRT.

What worries me is once my CRTs die, there is absolutely no CRT monitors sold now, it's all crappy LCDs, even the very few ones with H-IPS or whatever claimed high quality panels, are still crap in terms of color accuracy and response rate.

Most people have adopted LCD because of size - over quality. I'm also wondering if even OLED will compete with CRT - maybe in terms of contrast, but for colors, LCDs and OLED have a bias in color - either towards green, blue, etc. If all you are dong is surfing the internet, reading web pages, maybe LCD will be better - but for graphics work that requires color accuracy (both chroma, gamma & brightness levels) you want to stick with a good CRT.

Also a big downside of LCD is the fixed native resolution - with CRT you do not have this problem and can switch resolution without loss in quality - with LCD anything outside the native res is interpolated and gives crappy results, especially for text, for games you lose crispness and sharpness of textures, it's crap.
Yeah I see what you mean. Plasma are very good response time besides the burn-in and laser displays are coming out which is going to have complete black with 0.1ms response time (From what I heard).

Here is my CRT

Old September 2, 2009, 02:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The interpolation becomes less and less of an issue the more you get into the higher resolutions. Back in the day I thought people were CRAZY/STUPID to buy some of those LCDs

I mean seriously, go look at some of those 15" ones that people bought and used..... the ONLY advantage they had was that they were thin!
Old September 2, 2009, 05:53 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
the ONLY advantage they had was that they were thin!
LIES AND SLANDER!
They were also about 80lbs lighter than some of the larger CRTs.
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Thermaltake Armor
Corsair TX850W
Mushkin HP3 2x2GB DDR3
Samsung SATA DVD-RW

MSI GeForce GTX 275 Twin Frozr
Old September 2, 2009, 12:28 PM
Top Prospect

I have a dual screen setup with a 22inch LCD and a nice 17inch Cicero CRT from 2005, bought it 40$ in 2006... works wonders.

At work we also only have CRT's for when it comes to Computer service and repairs. It's just that people give in CRT's that they don't use anymore.... so if any of them stop working well we can replace it easily and freeee :P
Old September 2, 2009, 12:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
The interpolation becomes less and less of an issue the more you get into the higher resolutions. Back in the day I thought people were CRAZY/STUPID to buy some of those LCDs

I mean seriously, go look at some of those 15" ones that people bought and used..... the ONLY advantage they had was that they were thin!
Well whatever direction you go outside native res will be visible and have some sort of defects - it is more visible on some LCD monitors than others - keeping in mind that the scaler used in desktop LCD monitors are GARBAGE next to the ones used on expensive LCD TVs. There are some demos or user made games out there running at 800x600 or 1024x768 - Downscaling from today's higher res monitors is ugly unless you can handle blurry text and soft edges in youir games (some might even suggest anti-aliasing is USELESS in games when you downscale since the edges become fuzzy anyway).

As to laser TV - LOL - it will be out of most people's reach - still a very VERY long way to go - but with LED and OLED, native resolution will always be a problem - some apps and games can run at different res - with a CRT you have the option to switch res to gain some speed, with LCD, you don't, you get crap.

So far I have yet to see ONE LCD impress me and I've seen many, even the most expensive ones, even the ones with large gamuts, they come piss poor calibrated out of the factory and you would need hardware color calibration to get it half decent but never perfect.

People who rave and make big claims that LCD is great for games are the ones who have been using crappy CRT monitors :D LCD has input lag too, some say they don't notice it, IT'S THERE, it can make a big difference in some games that require very precise aiming and timing.

LCD original goal was saving space on your desk, less heavy - not quality.....For gaming and graphics, a good quality CRT cannot be beat.
Old September 2, 2009, 12:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safearus View Post
LIES AND SLANDER!
They were also about 80lbs lighter than some of the larger CRTs.
They feel the same to me.... heheheh.
Old September 2, 2009, 12:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
Well whatever direction you go outside native res will be visible and have some sort of defects - it is more visible on some LCD monitors than others - keeping in mind that the scaler used in desktop LCD monitors are GARBAGE next to the ones used on expensive LCD TVs. There are some demos or user made games out there running at 800x600 or 1024x768 - Downscaling from today's higher res monitors is ugly unless you can handle blurry text and soft edges in youir games

LCD original goal was saving space on your desk, less heavy - not quality.....For gaming and graphics, a good quality CRT cannot be beat.
I really noticed the horrible scaling on older LCDs. Now that I've been buying the 22"+ Sammy's for clients I really don't notice it anymore.

My eye is untrained so I would say I'm more of an "above average" pickyness rather than expert. I *only* say above average about myself because it's been apparent that the average person would purchase and stare at those old LCDs and be happy about it.

I'd actually love to see a good high quality calibrated CRT monitor....
Old September 2, 2009, 08:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I really noticed the horrible scaling on older LCDs. Now that I've been buying the 22"+ Sammy's for clients I really don't notice it anymore.

My eye is untrained so I would say I'm more of an "above average" pickyness rather than expert. I *only* say above average about myself because it's been apparent that the average person would purchase and stare at those old LCDs and be happy about it.

I'd actually love to see a good high quality calibrated CRT monitor....
You don't notice it ? Ok try setting say, 800x600 on that 22' Sammy and you'll see........ :D if you don't notice it, then your eyes have some sort of scaling of their own ;)
Old September 2, 2009, 08:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll have to try it, when I get access to one....
Old September 2, 2009, 11:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Still run a Viewsonic A91+f 19" crt on my xp printer/storage rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton