Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old July 20, 2009, 12:58 PM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 8,589

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
I would be curious to see your computer connected through it and watching a movie - My current PC setup does a great job upscaling SD video so much that it is almost amazing - Definately better than a TV's own scaler - haven't compared with a standalone DVD upscaler, but my guess would be better.

I will wait for that new multi-led Samsung 50' TV, to go down in price :D
I have no problems with it, going dvi to hdmi (though with my new GTX 260 i could just use the small converter and go hdmi to hdmi but i already own the cable for it). Only problem i initially had was to adjust the tv so that it displayed the entire desktop. TVs and PCs have different definition of 1920 x 1080 (TVs are about 20 pixels off) so i had to adjust it to Just Scan, then it works great, nothing missing off the screen
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old July 20, 2009, 01:02 PM
Chilly's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Speaking of new Samsung TVs, they sent me their new LN55B650 for review and I have been using it for the last three weeks. PQ is stunning for a 6-series TV but so far I find shimmering, judder and ghosting to be a serious concern.
PSU's, GPU's and big screen TV's, Oh My!
__________________
"Let's face it, we're not changing the world. We're building a product that helps people buy more crap - and watch porn."
Bill Watkins, CEO Seagate Technology

Dual Xeon X5650 @ 4.1GHz | EVGA Classified SR-2
2x4GB G.Skill at 1496MHz (9-9-9-24) | XFX 4890 XXX 1GB at 1000/1000MHz
Intel SSD X25-M 80GB Gen2 | Western Digital 1TB Black | SilverStone Zeus 1200W
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic | Sony MDR-V700 | Windows Seven x64


Stuff for Sale! You must buy it, you can't look away!
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old July 20, 2009, 01:24 PM
SKYMTL's Avatar
HardwareCanuck Review Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
PSU's, GPU's and big screen TV's, Oh My!
Most of the stuff I get to keep. TV's get sent back.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old July 20, 2009, 02:20 PM
misterlarry's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Posts: 1,356

My System Specs

Default

Wolf, with regards to your wife not allowing you to hook the computer up to this TV... I perceive that as the ultimate gesture of her love for you. She is obviously saying that you should not diminish your computing experience in anyway by sharing this TV. She wants you to find a separate 46" HDMI TV to use as a monitor, and while your at it, you should also make sure that your rig has the jam to run absolutely any program that you want at the very highest resolution and settings.

You truly are a lucky fellow; I only wish that my wife were so understanding.



Sorry man, I couldn't resist. Nice TV btw.
__________________
Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 - Intel i5 2550K @ 3.4 GHz - Corsair H80 CPU Cooler- 4x4 GB G.Skill Ares DDR3 1600 - EVGA GTX560 Ti
1x120 GB Mushkin Chronos Enhanced SSD - 1x500 GB Seagate Hybrid Momentus - 2x500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 - Pioneer DVR-212D - Antec P182 - Corsair TX650 - 22" Hanns-G - Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1



The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old July 20, 2009, 04:23 PM
1Tanker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlarry View Post
Wolf, with regards to your wife not allowing you to hook the computer up to this TV... I perceive that as the ultimate gesture of her love for you. She is obviously saying that you should not diminish your computing experience in anyway by sharing this TV. She wants you to find a separate 46" HDMI TV to use as a monitor, and while your at it, you should also make sure that your rig has the jam to run absolutely any program that you want at the very highest resolution and settings.

You truly are a lucky fellow; I only wish that my wife were so understanding.



Sorry man, I couldn't resist. Nice TV btw.
I think it's more like.......she doesn't want him looking at pr0n on a 46" screen.. too much detail.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old July 20, 2009, 08:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,221

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Speaking of new Samsung TVs, they sent me their new LN55B650 for review and I have been using it for the last three weeks. PQ is stunning for a 6-series TV but so far I find shimmering, judder and ghosting to be a serious concern.
Well that's why I hate LCD technology - Because of how LCD works, you will always have this problem - you can either get a tradeoff of color accuracy and other features for fast response OR PQ and accuracy and slow response, unless the technology is completly revised, there again, it would probably cost 10 times more.

How can Samsung even think of releasing a product with so much defects is beyond me.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old July 21, 2009, 02:14 PM
WolfBane's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: new bruinswick
Posts: 880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tanker View Post
I think it's more like.......she doesn't want him looking at pr0n on a 46" screen.. too much detail.
Lol guys actually i am afraid she would see the pRon and laff at me later lol

I did tell her in a year or two when we go to a projector movie room , that i would use it for a monitor and she replyed you just got 2 24 inch monitors for the computer and now you want this one :)
lol imagine 2 46 inch monitors lol
__________________
I use paypal only.:)
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old July 21, 2009, 02:19 PM
WolfBane's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: new bruinswick
Posts: 880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
Well that's why I hate LCD technology - Because of how LCD works, you will always have this problem - you can either get a tradeoff of color accuracy and other features for fast response OR PQ and accuracy and slow response, unless the technology is completly revised, there again, it would probably cost 10 times more.

How can Samsung even think of releasing a product with so much defects is beyond me.
Welp i have to be honest and say i don't know much about lcd's and all that but to me it seems to look really good and work ok but i will say i noticed what Sky said about some like very light blur on the edges sometimes for a sec:)
But that being said i don't even know what all the setups do like black screen background or the white etc etc in the setup menu , lol complicated i guess ?
So i turn it on stock and was like WOW this is much better than a 27 composite tv i had lol !!!
maybe thats how the companies get away witth these tvs !!! Coz ppl like me don't know much and we are just wowed by the size and better pic in general?????
hmmm thinks i :)
Now you guys done it you got me thinking lmao :help:
__________________
I use paypal only.:)
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old July 21, 2009, 02:20 PM
WolfBane's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: new bruinswick
Posts: 880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Most of the stuff I get to keep. TV's get sent back.
Lol thank the lord you don't review pRon or you might have a hard time hiding all those blow up things etc etc loll,

Not to mention you could probbly poke ya eye out!!!!
__________________
I use paypal only.:)
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old July 21, 2009, 05:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,221

My System Specs

Default

LMFAO give me a break it's not as if pr0n wouldn't look just as good on a regular bloody TV or one with Y/C inputs FFS :D :D :D Do you really need HD for that ?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New LCD tv Phobia Display Units 7 January 29, 2009 12:21 AM
What's the diff between buy a lcd tv and an lcd monitor? Mark Display Units 9 October 27, 2008 07:38 AM
What do you think of these LCD's yycraven Display Units 0 September 26, 2008 11:45 PM
Help choosing a 24 LCD jin15 Display Units 8 August 17, 2008 10:28 PM
LCD Monitor or LCD TV Brando737 Display Units 5 February 13, 2008 01:51 PM