Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 18, 2009, 01:43 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default HDMI?

Will HDMI become the future standard?
As in, if I were to purchase a monitor now would it be wise to make sure it supports HDMI?

Thanks
Old July 18, 2009, 01:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Best of my knowledge monitors that have hdmi are typically only ones that have some kind of speakers built into them. There will always be converters from one standard to another as well, with the typical attempt to keep the loss in conversion down. Unless you want to use your monitor as a tv (with speakers) there is 100% necessity to go for a monitor that has that, rather one that is within your budget and performs the necessary tasks you want it to with resolutions that you want.
Old July 18, 2009, 02:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Actually, technically speaking DisplayPort will eventually be the new standard; for PC monitors at least. Functionally it's extremely similar to HDMI, and I guess its big selling point is that it's royalty-free, unlike HDMI. In any case, DisplayPort seems to be having a pretty slow adoption rate, only now appearing on cards like the Radeon 4890 battlestation edition, and panels like the Dell 2408WFP. I don't think you'll need to worry about a major video standards change, for the PC at least. DVI will probably be around for a long time still.

---
Bob - Core i3 530 | Gigabyte H55N-USB3 | 4GB DDR3 | Corsair H50 w/ TFC Triebwerk | Silverstone SG06
Old July 18, 2009, 02:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If people want to read/know more about DisplayPort (because i keep forgetting about it myself till steers mention it because it doesn't get a lot of attention still) you can see the official website: DisplayPort or take whats on the wikipage as whatever you take other information from wiki: DisplayPort - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old July 25, 2009, 01:54 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, for the past year only DELL and AMD have been pushing DisplayPort, but the OP need not worry since DispayPort is backward compatible with HDMI
Old July 25, 2009, 11:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Why can't these standards organizations just come up with one type of connection? It would really make life a lot simpler.
Old July 25, 2009, 01:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Because these standards organizations can't come up with standards on how to make up standards for one type of connection
Old July 25, 2009, 01:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I think its more like there's always at least one company that wants a proprietary connector to make profit off of and then there's another connector that is free. Just like how closed-source and open-source software co-exist.