Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Display Units (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/)
-   -   Does anyone have a E228WFP Dell 22" (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/2003-does-anyone-have-e228wfp-dell-22-a.html)

JayDee July 23, 2007 02:52 PM

Does anyone have a E228WFP Dell 22"

If anyone has this monitor I'm specifically interested in movie playback.

I had a Samsung 226BW that I bought specifically for AVI/DVD/... movies and it was just horrible. I'm wondering if this is common to TN panels or if the Dell might offer me a better movie platform.

Right now the Dell is on sale for $279 and I think it also has free shipping so today seems like it would be the time to buy.

JD July 23, 2007 06:57 PM

I have it, and like it. I know some other people on here do as well.

My dad has a 226BW, C panel I believe, and it looks just fine too.

All monitors need some adjusting along with playing with codec settings and stuff. Takes time to get a monitor looking really good.

My Dell came set very redish. After some tweaking of settings, it looks quite fine now.

Mars July 23, 2007 07:00 PM

I have one on one of my secondary computers, haven't used it much, but I could go play with it if you want something specific...

I think all of the 22" LCD monitors available currently use the same panel, so image quality is hit and miss at best.

JayDee July 23, 2007 08:55 PM

Thanks for the replies guys :)

The Dell is a good deal right now for $279 and free shipping but if it doesn't perform well playing movies then I like my old 19" LCD just fine for games and on the net.

I tried adjusting my Samsung 226BW "C" panel up the ying-yang and it looked great for games and on the net but I couldn't get a movie to play worth a dang.

I'd go for the better panel of a 24" but at double the price it's also a crap-shoot.

Jmac July 24, 2007 11:00 AM

You're going to get a TN panel unless you're willing to drop a couple inches (20" MVA/PVA panels can be had for around $300, although they're pretty difficult to find) or pay more (MVA/PVA 24" panels generally cost $650+).

Some companies can be overly agressive w/ their overdrive programming (it allows for lower response times), which can cause artifacts, noise, and a host of other problems. While I can't say I've used the 226BW for video, this may be the case ...

Cheator July 24, 2007 11:02 AM

I have a E228WFP. It kicks ass! Definately worth the money.

JD July 24, 2007 11:25 AM

The Samsung definitely has some overdrive to get that "2ms". It's too late now, but theres an option in the menus to sort of turn it off. Forget what it's called though. RTA I think?

I think 5ms is a more realistic response time, so Dell probably uses very little overdrive if any at all.

I think the Dell UltraSharp 20" has a higher quality panel though if you want to sacrifice 2 inches. All the "E" series are the value class using TN panels.

JayDee July 24, 2007 11:30 AM

Well I just ordered the Dell

Total price with tax and free shipping was $318 which is a good price and I'll cross my fingers in hopes that it's decent for watching DVD/AVI.

Thanks for the input guys :)

SKYMTL July 24, 2007 11:36 AM

As a rule of thumb, I generally avoid any of Dell's E-series displays and go straight to the Ultrasharps.

JayDee July 24, 2007 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 15087)
As a rule of thumb, I generally avoid any of Dell's E-series displays and go straight to the Ultrasharps.

Ya I read that somewhere else while doing my research on the dell. There is no 22" Ultrasharp (at least not now) version. The 20" is too small and the 27" is out of my price range. They no longer list the 24" dell on the dell.ca site so they might have discontinued it or are doing a model change.