Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6, 2009, 12:31 AM
Rookie

Default New Monitor Help

Hi there,

I'm looking for a new monitor but my knowledge about them is pretty limited however I do know what I want to do.

I'm an avid gamer and don't want any sort of lag or tearing or anything like that, as well I want to be able to hook my PS3 up to it and watch blueray on it. I'm looking for a 24 inch that'll do that nicely for under 450 although the cheaper the better.

Any help would be appreciated :)
Old July 6, 2009, 07:28 AM
MVP
F@H

28" I-INC (1920X1200) is on sale for $339.00. I've had one for about a year now. For the price, I'm very happy. YMMV
Old July 6, 2009, 08:52 AM
Rookie

It won't have any sort of lag or tearing will it since I play twitch shooters and tend to spin my character around a lot to get bunny hopping going in CSS? It looks really nice and googling it it came up on a gaming website so I'd assume they wouldn't advertise it if it did. I'm just curious about how much the contrast ratio affects it being 800:1 since I have a little 19" LG with 2000:1 but with 5ms instead of 3. I'm very pleased with the little LG, it hasn't dimmed in the 3-4 years I've had it and I'm almost sad to replace it as my main monitor.

Although I'm reasonably sure I'll have to put my tower on the floor if I get that haha.

Also, anyone mind explaining what the contrast ratio exactly in comparison to the response time? I got pretty much everything else down for building computers except monitors manage to escape me.
Old July 6, 2009, 02:11 PM
MVP
F@H

I get good response times with mine, but I do get some tearing playing Oblivion. Not sure if it's a GPU limitation (single stock 8800 512) or the monitor.

I do a lot of HD video editing and photoshopping with mine, and the colours are not perfect, but pretty good.

AFAIK, contrast ratio and response times are unrelated.

My full tower is just a teensy bit taller than this monitor...
Old July 8, 2009, 01:03 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Don't be fooled by the "dynamic" contrast ratios, compare the Typical contrast ratios only. The dynamic values are bologne, and the proof is when you watch a movie on your new LCD monitor with dynamic contrast ratio enabled...

what a joke

800:1 and 1000:1 are good contrast ratios. Any manufacturer that hides it's true contrast ratio is not worth buying (*cough-acer-cough*)

and 5ms is perfectly fine for high paced PC gaming. The relationship between the two is beyond me, i dont think it's some mathematical equasion... i suppose it just is what it is.

every LG i have ever owned has been prone to tearing for some reason but has a nice picture. Im a samsung consumer now for LCD monitors so i am kind of biased i suppose. I have setup lots of BenQ and Asus LCD monitors lately and have not been very impressed (tho the price was right).