Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old June 30, 2009, 11:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,221

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
@ Darkstar

16ms is what my 2007WFP is. No ghosting, but severe tearing in some FPS games. vsync or triplebuffering does the trick to cure it though.
lol well I get that on my CRT - if your frame rate is higher than your refresh that's normal - which is why I always use VSYNC and TB - I'm not fussy about frame rate - my eyes are happy with 75fps even 60fps........ The price of this HP is about what I paid for my viewsonic pro series - I wonder about the input lag on this HP - imagine if this same HP had multi-LED. I think 400cd/s is overkill, it's enough bright to burn your eyes. I think I will check this monitor out myself :D
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old June 30, 2009, 12:07 PM
Thund3rball's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,525

My System Specs

Default

Agreed, 400cd/m2 is nuclear on my corneas. I can't really look at anything over 200cd/m2. Ya this HP sounds sweet. Great price point et al. Let us know what you think.
__________________
"this is not troll. this is real deal!" - hohohee

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)


HEATWARE
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old June 30, 2009, 01:11 PM
Chilly's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 2,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
lol well I get that on my CRT - if your frame rate is higher than your refresh that's normal - which is why I always use VSYNC and TB - I'm not fussy about frame rate - my eyes are happy with 75fps even 60fps........ The price of this HP is about what I paid for my viewsonic pro series - I wonder about the input lag on this HP - imagine if this same HP had multi-LED. I think 400cd/s is overkill, it's enough bright to burn your eyes. I think I will check this monitor out myself :D
Don't worry, the fact that they don't hide the 16ms TRUE black to white/white to black response rate is awesome. The 6ms GTG is pretty much what everyone else would only advertise, so when comparing specs to other monitors, use the 6ms GTG as that's what every one else uses in their spec sheets. As for the input lag, Its around 25-30ms, better than both the Dells you were looking at, non-noticeable for 95% of gamers/people.

As for the "bright colors" its a side effect of high gamut, impossible to avoid it in non color managed programs, EVERY monitor that has a NTSC/RGB rating higher than 72/76%, aka sRGB, has this so called "issue". Its has nothing to do with the specific monitor model, bur rather every high gamut monitor made and sold.

Luckily as long as you use color aware programs its not an issue. For example Photoshop, and Firefox are colour aware and will displays images correctly. Some people even like the exaggerated colours, apparently it makes games more feel more vibrant, but most people won't even notice the diffrence.

H-IPS > S-IPS > e-IPS > A-MVA> P-MVA > S-PVA > PVA > MVA > TN
__________________
"Let's face it, we're not changing the world. We're building a product that helps people buy more crap - and watch porn."
Bill Watkins, CEO Seagate Technology

Dual Xeon X5650 @ 4.1GHz | EVGA Classified SR-2
2x4GB G.Skill at 1496MHz (9-9-9-24) | XFX 4890 XXX 1GB at 1000/1000MHz
Intel SSD X25-M 80GB Gen2 | Western Digital 1TB Black | SilverStone Zeus 1200W
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic | Sony MDR-V700 | Windows Seven x64


Stuff for Sale! You must buy it, you can't look away!
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old June 30, 2009, 09:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,221

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Don't worry, the fact that they don't hide the 16ms TRUE black to white/white to black response rate is awesome.
At least they don't hide it agreed - I always get a good laugh when I see monitors advertized as 2ms..... As far as the HP I am confused, is it 16ms or 12ms - Some sites report it as 16ms, official specs at 12ms ?

Quote:
Its around 25-30ms, better than both the Dells you were looking at, non-noticeable for 95% of gamers/people.
30ms - wow isn't that a bit high ? I get less than that pings on some game servers FFS - aren't the Dells and others 9-10ms ? On FPS that require precise movements and aiming that lag can be a problem - I am liking my CRT more and more now ! :D

Quote:
As for the "bright colors" its a side effect of high gamut, impossible to avoid it in non color managed programs, EVERY monitor that has a NTSC/RGB rating higher than 72/76%, aka sRGB, has this so called "issue". Its has nothing to do with the specific monitor model, bur rather every high gamut monitor made and sold.
That's not a problem you can reduce saturation - my concern is the red/green bias on some of these monitors, impossible to get rid of despite adjustments.

Quote:
Luckily as long as you use color aware programs its not an issue. For example Photoshop, and Firefox are colour aware and will displays images correctly. Some people even like the exaggerated colours, apparently it makes games more feel more vibrant, but most people won't even notice the diffrence.
What I don't understand is how can HP and Dell for example advertize those monitors as "professional" for video editing, photographers requiring color accuracy when they are far from accurate. I do a lot of photo retouching and color correction - Colors shifted or too bright can completly set me off - Imagine corrected a photo that appears overly saturated on your LCD, that will appear dull on a client's CRT or regular LCD... This is why I bloody hate LCDs so much, and I cannot see how PROFESSIONALS can use this unless the monitor is perfectly calibrated with professional color calibration device.

For gaming I wouldn't care much about the bright colors anyways - raise the gamma a little and it would compensate - but for photograph correction, ouch ! I have done a lot of that on my CRT and never received ONE complaint - on an LCD I would likely get killed - if I have to correct the same photo on an LCD I would likely have to reduce gamma or curves, reduce chroma, change hue - on an otherwise GOOD photo that would now look like CRAP on some TVs :D

I want to try this one but no store here sells it, I cannot find it ANYWHERE but online - I want a place where I can buy it and return it if I don't like it without getting ripped off on shipping back and restocking.

All that Microbytes and Futureshop sells are crappy TN panels, that's ALL they have. :D
99.9% of suckers who buy them around here don't know what TN is let alone what ANY of the specs mean.........it leaves us more aware people in the cold !
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Radiator advice needed .. Synth Water Cooling 8 May 25, 2009 04:42 PM
Some advice needed please! D4ng3r Cases 5 December 9, 2008 11:45 AM
Advice needed on WC Jackquelegs Water Cooling 36 November 22, 2008 10:40 PM
Advice on loop needed ... Synth Water Cooling 8 May 9, 2008 05:31 AM
Advice on mobo needed badly 999Virus999 CPU's and Motherboards 8 January 11, 2008 10:23 PM