Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 13, 2007, 07:53 AM
Rookie

Default Need help choosing monitor

My old 19" crt won't last for long. For some reason the image turns pink every 5 minutes and I hate it .

I'm not sure which one I should buy, so I need some advice. I use it mostly for gaming, but I also watch movies from time to time, and I'd like to buy a Widescreen LCD. Anyway these are the LCDs i'm interested in :

Dell 2407WFP-HC 24"
ViewSonic VX2835WM 28" ( almost the same price as dell 24" )

The Dell 24" non HC is popular and is considered amongst the best 24" available, so I guess the HC should be even better...

The ViewSonic is bigger and alot cheaper than the 27" dell, but has a few disavantages such as no height adjustment, built in speakers, doesn't turn off automatically, no DVI, ...

I wanted to buy the Samsung 226BW at first but i'm afraid of the different series of these monitors ( A, C, S ).
Old July 13, 2007, 02:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I have that Dell monitor and I love it. It is a good monitor.

This monitor might be a good one too. http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...acture=Samsung
Old July 13, 2007, 02:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

I say, either the Dell or the Samsung! Let alone the Viewsonic...You'll thanks me later.

Personally, i'd get the Dell. Such a beautiful LCD man!
• - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
• - Ultra X3 1000 Watt
• - Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
• - Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
• - Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
• - CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
• - Dell UltraSharp 24''
• - Noctua NH-D14
Old July 13, 2007, 04:50 PM
Rookie

Ok, I guess I'll be going for the Dell then, thanks for the help.
Old July 13, 2007, 06:29 PM
Allstar

The 2407WFP-HC uses the new AU Optronics A-MVA panel, which is supposed to be quite nice. It's not an IPS panel, so don't expect the same colour accuracy and uniformity that the original had, but it should be better for videos and gaming.

With a 3 ms response time, the VX2835WM is obviously going to be using the far inferior TN panel technology. While it may look good on paper, TN panels usually have the worst colour accuracy, uniformity, and viewing angles. The only advantages they have is that they're cheap to make and they have low response times. With a monitor that large, I shudder to think of how bad the uniformity issues are going to be.

The Samsung 245B also uses a TN panel, which will have the same issues as above, but probably with less pronouced uniformity issues.

I would personally go with the Dell.
Old July 13, 2007, 08:20 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
The 2407WFP-HC uses the new AU Optronics A-MVA panel, which is supposed to be quite nice. It's not an IPS panel, so don't expect the same colour accuracy and uniformity that the original had, but it should be better for videos and gaming.
Was the 2407WFP IPS? I was under the impression it wasn't...

And isn't the big selling point for the change to the HC the expanded colour gamut (ie. accuracy)?

edit: From 95% of stuff I could find, the 2407WFP was S-PVA.

This would be the A-MVA panel for the 2407WFP-HC.

edit2: Okay, I guess there have been both S-PVA and S-IPS versions of the A04 2407WFP, the Dell forums are down now though, so I can't check the linked sources.

Last edited by Mars; July 13, 2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old July 13, 2007, 09:02 PM
Allstar

The original 2407WFP had an S-IPS panel, then they later changed it to a S-PVA panel to lower costs (stay competitive).

Either way, it's just arguing semantics. The old 2407WFP is no longer available and this is what they're offering now. I'm sure it's a great monitor (and surely better than a TN panel), it just probably won't have the colour accuracy an IPS panel can offer. Vertical alignment panels, though, do have their advantages over IPS panels such as lower costs, deeper black levels, and better video performance.

Also, note that colour gamut is simply how much of the NTSC colour spectrum the panel is capable of producing (i.e. how saturated the colours can be) and, while it may contribute to better colour accuracy, it is not a measure of colour accuracy itself.
Old July 13, 2007, 11:45 PM
Rookie

Hmm... that must be a dumb question but can I change the resolution ( 1920 x 1200 ) to something lower like 1440 x 900 without loosing image quality? I heard monitors only look great in their native resolution... My GPU is a bit outdated and i'm afraid I won't be able to run games smoothly ( 7800GT ).
Old July 14, 2007, 06:02 PM
Allstar

Can you ? Yes ...
Will you lose image quality ? Yes ...

Since 1440 and 900 are not factors of 1920 or 1200, you're going to get a fair amount of pixel error. The reason is because each programmed pixel is going to take up 1.333x1.333 actual pixels. Since pixels are digital, you can't actually display 1/3 of a pixel, so it'll display whatever pixel has the most real estate there.

If you lower the resolution down to say 960x600, both of which are factors of 1920x1200, then you won't get pixel error (each programmed pixel will take up 2x2 actual pixels), but you'll be stuck with a generally unsupported and low resolution.
Old July 16, 2007, 04:43 PM
Rookie

I can't seem to make up my mind... I want a dell 24 inch but on dell.ca the estimated delivery time is 3 weeks...

The 2407WFP-HC costs 700$, and almost 850$ with taxes and shipping, and people say it has color bleeding and a few problems, while the 2407WFP-A04 would cost 650$ shipped ( on ebay -.-; ), and it will probably take 1 week for me to receive it.

Which one should I choose?