Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 11, 2009, 09:23 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Color Calibration

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a good calibration program for a monitor.

My LG W3000H is very heavy on the reds, and I've just noticed some...uh...tearing? Where there are residual colors off to one side of a block of, say, red. This screen happily displays normal colors, but if any primaries appear on the screen, anywhere at all, they are displayed extremely brilliantly. Extremely. (I just played Mirror's Edge like this. It was so amazingly easy to find my way around. )
Really, I should have been checking around for a calibration solution sooner.

If someone could post a few links to good calibrators or whatnot, I think it would make a good sticky for this section, or perhaps the troubleshooting section.

Old June 11, 2009, 09:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispex View Post
I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a good calibration program for a monitor.

My LG W3000H is very heavy on the reds, and I've just noticed some...uh...tearing? Where there are residual colors off to one side of a block of, say, red. This screen happily displays normal colors, but if any primaries appear on the screen, anywhere at all, they are displayed extremely brilliantly. Extremely. (I just played Mirror's Edge like this. It was so amazingly easy to find my way around. )
Really, I should have been checking around for a calibration solution sooner.

If someone could post a few links to good calibrators or whatnot, I think it would make a good sticky for this section, or perhaps the troubleshooting section.

Any good calibrator is going to cost you big bucks.
Old June 11, 2009, 10:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Spyder Pro is decent and will probably run you $200-$300. It tends to lean a little to the Reds but I don't mind it. Each one leans to one colour more than others it seems. I think for most non-pro graphics users the Spyder is probably the best value.
Datacolor - Global Leader in Color Management Solutions

You can just use an online calibrator if you don't want to spend the money. Less precise but still better than guessing.
LCD monitor test images

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old June 12, 2009, 08:05 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I've been using this free program with which calibration is all done using your eyes as measuring instruments; needless to say that results will vary with individuals.

The results i get are quite good.

Hex2Bit - Software by Mike Walters

Ego cogito, ergo deus non est.
Old June 12, 2009, 08:38 AM
Top Prospect

Any of the 'Spyder3' units are the ones to choose from. They updated the hardware since the Spyder2 series. The Spyder3 series were the highest rated, in the reviews that I read, when I was looking to upgrade my original Spyder.

Panasonic Toughbooks
CF-18, CF-19, CF-29, CF-31, CF-52GUN

ThinkPads
X301, A31p

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you're not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!
Old June 12, 2009, 11:57 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm still stuck with Spyder2Pro, it was designed when CRTs ruled the Earth, looking to upgrade to Spyder3 for better Windows 7 compatibility.

Last edited by artistpavel; June 12, 2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old June 12, 2009, 01:53 PM
MVP

My System Specs

So these spyder3's can calibrate your monitor? From the responses so far, it seems that a Spyder would be my only option, as this particular monitor has literally no settings options other than brightness.

(Gellidus, thanks for the link to that. Would probably be all I need, had I any settings options on the monitor itself. Definitely fits criteria for something worthy of becoming a sticky, methinks.)

So, is it worth the $250(ish) USD they're asking for the Spyder3? Seems to be created almost expressly for pictures, too. . .
Old June 12, 2009, 02:08 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
So these spyder3's can calibrate your monitor? From the responses so far, it seems that a Spyder would be my only option, as this particular monitor has literally no settings options other than brightness.

(Gellidus, thanks for the link to that. Would probably be all I need, had I any settings options on the monitor itself. Definitely fits criteria for something worthy of becoming a sticky, methinks.)

So, is it worth the $250(ish) USD they're asking for the Spyder3? Seems to be created almost expressly for pictures, too. . .
Reminds me that a few weeks ago i wanted to make a small setting change on my lcd, but everytime i pushed a button, it said "osd locked". I was at a loss, now knowing what to do as i had used those some time before and it did work ok.
Someone said "maybe your connection then was analog and now it's digital."
He was right.

could it be the reason you can't make adjustments on your monitor ?

Edit: forgot to say that the program i gave the link for (MCW) has it's own adjustments and there is no need to use adjustments on the monitor itself.

Ego cogito, ergo deus non est.

Last edited by Gellidius; June 12, 2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old June 12, 2009, 03:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:

FYI... The Spyder will tell you outright that on some low-end LCD screens, it is better to leave them at factory settings. I can vouch for this as I tried to calibrate my buddies low-cost LG TN 20" LCD and it just went whack. o.0

You will have to make some manual adjustments as the wizard on the Spyder goes through the process, the more controls you have, the better. No controls imo, means go with a free solution.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old June 12, 2009, 03:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well, I won't personally have to worry about the low-end thing, not by a long shot. Thanks for the warning about that, though.

So, if I have no manual controls, I'm pretty much screwed and doomed to fiddle with freebie programs until I figure something out? Ack. I've been messing with the "MCW" thing for a while now, and if I were to follow it's instructions entirely, well, nothing happens. Fiddling with it while disregarding the instructions only gets me either a bright screen, or darkened colors with bright whites, or some variation of "you-messed-up-the-color-balance-you-moron" type of display. And through it all, the reds remain a brilliant, blinding shade of hellfire.

I need to find one that does all of the calibrating itself, without asking you to change the contrast or anything. The only option available to me, again, is brightness.

I'll keep searching around. Haven't found anything that would work better than the one Gellid posted, though.

Last edited by crispex; June 12, 2009 at 03:52 PM.