Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 12, 2009, 05:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I got a Spyder2Express for under $100. Though it only works with matte LCDs, not those glossy ones but it works well. Made my colours far better. Everything is deep and rich now like it should be.

Though of course, a TN panel can only do so much so gradients are still pretty bad.
Old June 12, 2009, 08:07 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Mine's a matte S-IPS panel.

To clarify: Spyder units can or cannot assume full control over the calibration process? Their site does not seem to explain very well.

(Or I'm just being an absolute moron. Really, I just want to hear from someone here that's used one of them.)
Old June 13, 2009, 12:05 AM
F@H

My System Specs

All mine does is say to reset all monitor settings to default, place the sensor on the screen in the center, then it generates an ICM profile after various colour swatches. It then automatically loads said profile using their software at every startup.

It's not fail-proof though, some games forcefully unload the ICM profile it seems so you loose the optimization. And the Vista/7 Color Management thing in control panel doesn't seem to do anything even if you only use that ICM profile. It needs to be loaded by Spyder's software.

I'm not sure if higher-end units make you change on-monitor settings or not though. I think it would be rather difficult for them to know every monitor and how the settings effect things.
Old June 14, 2009, 01:07 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

If I can find it somewhere, I have a Spyder3Pro that I don't use anymore.

Typical setup is installation, LCD settings reset, calibration using the results from the scan and modifications using the LCD's controls. Once completed, an .icm file then is generated.
Old June 16, 2009, 04:25 PM
Top Prospect

I just bought the Spyder3Studio. It has both the display calibrator, that does CRT, LCD, Laptop and projector, and the printer calibrator. I will try and get a quick review of the Spyder3 display calibrator off for you in the next few days.

Panasonic Toughbooks
CF-18, CF-19, CF-29, CF-31, CF-52GUN

ThinkPads
X301, A31p

There is always something waiting at the end of the road, if you're not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

Life's Journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn-out shouting 'Woo Hoo! What a ride!
Old June 17, 2009, 06:44 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Hmm, sounds like it just might work. I'd definitely appreciate a little review like that.

And Charlie, I take it you'd be willing to part with such a lonely, unused piece of hardware?

Ah, update: Got a newer-ish driver for this screen, which was nearly impossible to find. While it helped a bit, certain reds are still remarkably brilliant, and I still have that strange tearing issue. (Such as a mis-aligned CRT does, except it only seems to happen to primary colors that appear in the middle of the monitor. Again, normally the reds. )

So, yes, still looking for something that works.
Old July 17, 2014, 11:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default colour test for eyes, does screen calibration affect it?

Color Test - Online Color Challenge | X-Rite
I scored a 63 on a crappy lenovo lcd, didn't think I was so colourblind but then wondered if screen cal would affect it much, maybe not if all you're doing is comparing hues...