Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 19, 2009, 12:26 PM
MVP
F@H

Taken from somewhere.... anyway stay away from lg,... try this one.. =)

Dell S2309W 23" Widescreen Full HD Flat Panel LCD Monitor - 5ms, 1920x1080, 1000:1 Native, DVI, Black in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

• S-IPS/H-IPS panels are generally considered the best all around panel type, but they are more expensive and very few are made. High end, expensive.
  • S-PVA/MVA panels offer better color reproduction and viewing angles than TN panels, have slightly worse response times than TN or S-IPS, offer the best contrast ratios, may suffer from color shifting or input lag and have higher availability than S-IPS panels. Mid range, fair price.
  • TN panels are very cheap and have the fastest response times, but suffer from inferior color reproduction, contrast ratios and viewing angles. Low end, inexpensive.

Old May 19, 2009, 01:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If time is not an issue, you could follow the DELL 2209WA. I really love it.. I got it for 215$ (tax + shipping included), so 180$ off. I heard that you could try to call Dell and get a good price, but I'm not sure if it's going to work.

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old May 19, 2009, 05:39 PM
Top Prospect

So I think I came to my decision.
I just came back from best buy and they had a Samsung monitor on sale for $350 bucks. Best part is, its 25.5"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it "fits" in my desk, but I have to sit directly in front of the monitor in order to see all of it! LOLOL I can stop laughing about it, this thing is FRIGGIN HUGE!!!!!!
Model: 2693HM
HAHAHAAH I'll have to post pictures!
Old May 19, 2009, 06:53 PM
Rookie
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikgp View Post
you'll have to forgive me, but what is a TN panel and a PVA panel. Or maybe the question is better phrased: what is the difference between the 2?
Well from what I have managed to find out over the years a TN display tends to have rather limited viewing angles, especially vertically. So if you see an LCD where the colours and brightness change a lot when you move around especially if you are looking from above or below, then it is probably a TN. PVA looks the same pretty much no matter how you look at them. PVA panels are hence much better when you have a screen that allows for rotating it 90 degrees since a TN panel will often require you to be sitting very straight in front of it.

Another difference is that many cheaper TN panels are 6bit per colour and do dithering or fast changes in brightness of pixels to try and simulate 8bit per colour, but never do it very well. I have never heard of a PVA panel that was not a true 8bit per colour display and hence did full 24bit colour rather than 18bit. Apple put a 6bit TN panel in one of their imacs recently and had a lot of very very upset photo editing users all of a sudden. Not a smart move.

TN displays tend to have faster response times, although many of them do so by doing tricks withgoing to full black or full white on the way to the new setting rather than going direct (for some reason this is faster on a TN panel in many cases), but can cause annoying shimmering of the display when the display changes a lot. PVA tends to be a bit slower (although still easily 60 frames per second), but don't have any need to do tricks to get their response time.

Generally if the specs don't say, it is a TN panel, often a 6 bit one. Normally when the screen is any good, the specs will tell you what it is. If they don't say, it is normally safe to assume the worst.
Old May 19, 2009, 06:55 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitaldemon View Post
Taken from somewhere.... anyway stay away from lg,... try this one.. =)

Dell S2309W 23" Widescreen Full HD Flat Panel LCD Monitor - 5ms, 1920x1080, 1000:1 Native, DVI, Black in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

• S-IPS/H-IPS panels are generally considered the best all around panel type, but they are more expensive and very few are made. High end, expensive.
  • S-PVA/MVA panels offer better color reproduction and viewing angles than TN panels, have slightly worse response times than TN or S-IPS, offer the best contrast ratios, may suffer from color shifting or input lag and have higher availability than S-IPS panels. Mid range, fair price.
  • TN panels are very cheap and have the fastest response times, but suffer from inferior color reproduction, contrast ratios and viewing angles. Low end, inexpensive.
Same monitor, less money, free shipping..
Dell - Search - All Dell.com
Old May 19, 2009, 08:43 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

That's an xlnt price for the Samsung 2693HM, congrats (1920 x 1200 rocks). I have never seen the 2693HM at BB.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikgp View Post
So I think I came to my decision.
I just came back from best buy and they had a Samsung monitor on sale for $350 bucks. Best part is, its 25.5"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it "fits" in my desk, but I have to sit directly in front of the monitor in order to see all of it! LOLOL I can stop laughing about it, this thing is FRIGGIN HUGE!!!!!!
Model: 2693HM
HAHAHAAH I'll have to post pictures!
MAIN: i5 3570 @ 4.5Ghz wH100 / evga GTX780 SOC / MSI Z77A-G45 / 8gb G.Skill 2133 1T / 30" 2560x1600 / Antec P280 / PCP&C 950w / Intel 520 SSD 240gb / Eclipse / G3-Lazer / z5300 / Win7 Pro64 / APC Xs1300
HTPC : nMedia6000B / AMD X2 4400+ / M2A-VM / Corsair 4GB 800 / LiteOn Blu-Ray / 8800GT / Samsung 46"LCD / 2x2TB / OCZ500 / ATI550 / Wrless Kbrd & Rmte / z-5500 / Win7Pro / APC700
"You must be the change you want to see in the world" 
- Mahatma Gandhi  
Old May 20, 2009, 05:05 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitaldemon View Post
Taken from somewhere.... anyway stay away from lg,...
Excuse my uncoolness but after comparing several side by side, I found the LG to look better ... to me anyways.

I have 2 Samsung TV's and 3 22 inch LCD's which are great but this time around I wanted a better base and ended up getting integrated speakers as well. Not that I'm using the speakers ... today but some day I might.

Watch out for the response time game since most 2ms lcd's are actually 5ms.
2ms grey to grey
5ms black to black

Also 16:10 screen will give you letterbox effect when watching movies.
If this is important to you look into 16:9.
Old May 20, 2009, 06:44 AM
Allstar

Enjoy the new monitor, I have the 2493 and love it.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N