Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 15, 2009, 07:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default is there a way to connect a laptop moniter to a PC

I am curious is it possible to connect a normal pc to a laptop monitor?
Old April 15, 2009, 08:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I do not think it is possible in the normal sense. Laptops only have video out, not in. You can do it if you use remote desktop. You will need a cross cat lan cable if you do not have a router or switch. Configure the ip's of both correctly. GO to RUN and type MSTC and type the ip of your desktop machine, make sure that the account you will be using to connect on the desktop has a password or else it won't work........
Old April 15, 2009, 09:03 AM
Allstar
F@H

I have seen software that is capable of doing this, I'll Google around and see if I can find it (I might not be able to get it until I'm home, these school computers are running some old P4s and are slowwww!!)

EDIT: I can't seem to find it here but I'm pretty sure I've seen software that will let you do this. If no one has found it by the time I get home, I'll see if I can find it. You might also want to look into Synergy. Its doesn't let you use your laptop as a second monitor, but it lets you control multiple computers with one mouse and keyboard, and the mouse moves seamlessly as though they were two monitors on a single PC. It can also synchronize the clipboard and screen saver so it might be enough for what you want.

Last edited by CanadaRox; April 15, 2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old April 15, 2009, 10:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

what I mean is to actually connect the Monitor itself to the output of the Video card on the PC.
this is whats going on I bought two broken v200o laptops and both monitors are good so I was thinking that if there is a way to connect just the monitor to the pc I could then possibly do this LCD Overhead Projector
Old April 15, 2009, 10:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hm, I think you would have to figure out a way to get the inverter from the laptop screen to interface with your GPU's DVI out. Simple o.0

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old April 15, 2009, 10:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

Perhaps, it can be done trough the video capture software route. On a hardware side laptops screens have proprietary connectors, so I doubt it would be easy to make an adapter.
HTPC Build: Final Video

Last edited by Dazmode; April 15, 2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old April 15, 2009, 11:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hmm now if I could just find a web site that had this kind of information
Old April 15, 2009, 12:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
what I mean is to actually connect the Monitor itself to the output of the Video card on the PC.
this is whats going on I bought two broken v200o laptops and both monitors are good so I was thinking that if there is a way to connect just the monitor to the pc I could then possibly do this LCD Overhead Projector
No its not possible. There is a large difference in how the video signal is sent to the panel in a laptop compared to a desktop.
Old April 15, 2009, 12:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

This is the program you want: Multi Monitor - Dual Monitor - KVM - Remote Control Software

Though you'd probably want to use a wired connection rather than WiFi.