Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 12, 2009, 07:58 PM
Banned

I use Aser P series P244w monitors. Excellent monitors and excellent quality.
Old March 12, 2009, 10:06 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I was in the same price range and I ended up getting an Acer X223H which is around $220. Worth the extra twenty bucks considering you get another inch, 1920x1060, and HDMI capability in case your buddy ever wants to use it for an HTPC or hook it up to one of those newfangled consoles. I was just playing Max Payne 2 on it and I've got no complaints, though it is an older game.
Old March 13, 2009, 04:24 AM
Banned

Err...that model has 1920 x 1080p.
Old March 13, 2009, 10:59 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Whoops! Thanks for the correction Digikid.
Old March 13, 2009, 12:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Don't these Acer models have issues with color accuracy ? Haven't been too impressed with Acer let alone most LCDs in terms of color gamuts.
Old March 13, 2009, 01:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
Don't these Acer models have issues with color accuracy ? Haven't been too impressed with Acer let alone most LCDs in terms of color gamuts.
Like anything you have to know what to look for. A $200 Acer from BB is not the bar to be setting for LCD quality. ;)

An LCD will never be as smooth as a CRT but they can have exceptional colour and offer other advantages as well.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 13, 2009, 05:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What about that Samsung that's on sale at Canada Computers? Seems to be a pretty good deal if you ask me.

I myself have a old Sharp 17" and it's better than my sister's Acer 17". Even when I play FPS games, I don't see or feel anything bad like ghosting and stuff.
Old March 13, 2009, 11:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Like anything you have to know what to look for. A $200 Acer from BB is not the bar to be setting for LCD quality. ;)

An LCD will never be as smooth as a CRT but they can have exceptional colour and offer other advantages as well.
lol well the problem is that most LCDs sold in stores or online are TN panel based, and as you know TN panel is not synonm of exceptional quality..... it's very hard when you're used to smooth TRUE 24bit colors on CRT and move to 6bit colors...... AND if you are lucky and get a decent non TN panel, you'll get bigger color gamuts, 8bit, but at the cost of 5x to 8x higher latency.........this is one reason I cannot stand LCD, I have yet to see a decent one for games - considering a lot of newer games use HDR and other effects, that are not possible with LCD....so I am not sold on LCD, and the 2 models of Dell or Acer recommended are absolute crap I've seen them on display at a local store - LCD companies are dishonest and misleading with their BIg dynamic contrast ratings, it is poorly implamented - I myself am looking for a decent LCD for gaming, and yet to find one that offers no ghosting while offering the full color gamut and not some visible banding on color gradations......guess I am asking too much for LCD, but I am shocked that in 2009 LCDs have not improved that much....I can't wait for OLED :)
Old March 14, 2009, 12:12 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I haven't really noticed any disadvantages on LCD as far as colour goes and I made the switch straight from CRT. And I really think calling these monitors absolute crap really isn't fair when you're clearly using your own set of standards and we're discussing the best choice of monitor for someone else, and trying to reach a compromise taking the advantages and disadvantages of LCD types in mind. Aure, TNs won't satisfy someone with a sharp eye on colour as much as a CRT but geokilla's friend isn't image editing or anything as a primary focus, and the difference is negligible when we're talking gaming and general use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
What about that Samsung that's on sale at Canada Computers? Seems to be a pretty good deal if you ask me.

I myself have a old Sharp 17" and it's better than my sister's Acer 17". Even when I play FPS games, I don't see or feel anything bad like ghosting and stuff.
Any chance you can see these things in-store someplace? That'd really be best but if you can't, I'd support going for the Samsung. I just pitched in my Acer experience for perspective. If nothing else, you can have your buddy draw names out of a hat
Old March 14, 2009, 04:14 PM
MVP

My System Specs

From what I have seen there is no such thing as no ghosting on lcd's, especially when you play fast paced shooters.
Today's LCD's look pretty and are fast but they are no match to a good CRT.

But good luck finding a good 21" CRT those days.
As my ibm260 gave up on me, I went LCD because of the lack of available new or used CRT's.
I got used to it, but sometimes I am still missing my good old coffin.

My vote also goes for the sammy at canada computers.

/has big hopes for OLED as well