Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 3, 2009, 06:51 AM
Trial Member

Arrow Dual LG W2442PA 24"s.....

Originally I was going to buy the Asus 25.5" monitors until they came back to me with a price change. So now that it's way out of my budget, the next one down on my list is the LG W2442PA 24".

What do you guys think of this monitor? I've searched on Google and really can't find any credible reviews.

The FLATRON Wide Format Series are the finest monitors that epitomize a wide variety of
cutting-edge technologies. High-tech design, best picture quality and ergonomic
functionality optimizes the user environment. Play MOVIES, Play GAMES, Play Wide, Play LG!

Additional Information

Manufacturer
LG Electronics

Manufacturer part number

W2442PA-BF

Product model

W2442PA-BF

Screen Size

24" (wide)

Brightness

300 cd/㎡

Contrast Ratio

10000:1 (DFC)

Response Rate
2 ms (GtoG)

Resolution

1920X1080

Input Signal
DVI-D

Input Signal
15 PIN D-SUB

Manufacturer warranty

3 year(s) limited warranty
Old March 3, 2009, 10:26 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

as you can see in my signature, i don't own the same model as the one you're talking about, but i think they should be quite similar.

this LG i bought has one problem with image quality, but i cannot tell if all LCD's are the same, as this is my first LCD ever.

the problem is the directionality of the image; whenever you move your head, the color and brightness will change; and you will see the same
problem even if you do not move your head: corners of the display are not the same as the center.

In other words, this is no monitor for Photoshop.

Marketing hype must always be taken with a large grain of salt.

What i suggest is that you go to a store and compare different makes/models.

Ego cogito, ergo deus non est.
Old March 3, 2009, 10:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Judging by listed specs it is a TN panel meaning the lowest quality colour reproduction but fast response times for gaming. So if your main use is design, photo editing or anything where colour reproduction is important I would not suggest this panel. If you are playing games or watching movies and just generally entertaining yourself on your machine, and colour accuracy is not so important to you, then it will be fine.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 3, 2009, 11:04 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

+1 to both previous posters. To clarify, the problem with a TN panel is twofold: color reproduction and viewing angle. A TN will serve you fine provided that you a) don't need photo quality colour reproduction (eg for a graphics designer) and b) you will be looking at the monitor head on, not from any kind of angle. If you need to look at if from the side, slightly above, or slightly below, it will appear washed out or exceptionally dark, or both. This may be troublesome, depeding how you intend to orient your two monitor setup, or it may not.

If you decide to go with a non-TN panel, you've got PVA and IPS to choose from. Both are expensive, and nearly impossible to find in 22"--they're typically used in quite large monitors. IPS tends to suffer from ghosting (not as bad as it used to be, but may still be an issue for a gamer) and PVA may suffer from input lag (you move the mouse, and the on-screen cursor delays for a few milliseconds..again, frustrating for a gamer)

Perhaps the best idea, if you're looking for opinions, is to let us know what you're going to use it for. Then we could offer more pertinent info. Cheers!
Old March 16, 2009, 02:26 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I purchased one of these here in Winnipeg, a deal too good to pass up. The monitor is working well. I mainly game and email/internet with the machine. I have not noticed any oddness as of yet, nothing jumps out as outstanding, but nothing as bad either. Overall I would have to say I am happy with the monitor, but as mentioned before, try and get down and see some side by side to decide. In the end let your eye, and your wallet, be your guide!
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop