Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 4, 2009, 02:43 PM
Banned

Default Need Muiltiple Monitor setup help.

Hey there.

I have TWO Acer P244w monitors. Would like to strrecth my gaming to both of them...and further still when I can afford a THIRD one.

However for the life of me I cannot get my games to do this.

Ultramon will not work in Windows 7 ( the only OS I have right now )

Ugh.
Old February 4, 2009, 02:52 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Matrox Triplehead2Go Digital Edition Review
Nuff said. I'd recommend an Nvidia card still for up to triple 1650x1050 resolutions across three monitors (ATI still has yet to fix their drivers). It's not the max. of your monitors I know, but future updates may come down the pipe that will allow such resolutions. Hope it helps!
Old February 4, 2009, 03:07 PM
Banned

NCIX.com - Buy Matrox TRIPLEHEAD2GO Graphics Expansion Module Digital Edition 1XVGA in 1XDVI in 3XDVI-I Out - T2G-D3D-IF In Canada.

Ouch!!!! That would be awesome but its there anything that can do the same job but....cheaper??????

BTW have a EVGA 260 GTX Core 216....planning to SLI that soon.
Old February 4, 2009, 04:01 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Canadian Prices: Matrox Graphics - Matrox TripleHead2Go Graphics Expansion Module Digital... - T2GD3DIF

Price matching it helps somewhat, and it's still cheaper than most 30'' LCDs with more than an extra megapixel viewable. Other than that, there aren't too many options for beyond one or two monitors. Be careful with the SLI though... AFAIK it isn't officially supported (nor is Xfire but that is being worked on).
Old February 4, 2009, 06:49 PM
MVP

lol, did you get those monitors from staples for 250 each?
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500gb
RAM: G.Skill 4GB @ 576mhz (4.4.4.12)
PSU: Seasonic SS-400ET
Old February 4, 2009, 07:19 PM
Banned

Yeppers. From the closest one to me in Owen Sound, Ontario.

love them....but they only had TWO!!!! :(

The ONLY thing that I hate about them.....NO DVI!!!! WTH? Only one VGA and two HDMI ports.

Ah well.....I have loads of adapters for that.
Old February 4, 2009, 09:27 PM
MVP

ooh, you got the 1080p ones. why didn't you get the 1920x1200 24" that were going for the same price?
or were they sold out

I could be completely wrong here, but I remember reading somewhere that you could set up xfired ati cards in such a way that, each card could display the image for each monitor. Thus having 3 cards, you could display on 3 monitors.

I think that might be a better option - if its possible - than buying that matrox thing. holy smokse 350+ for that?? isn't it like a multi-tap, but for computer monitors?
You could get a 4850 x2 @ $360 + 4850 @ $170. for the same price as a matrox @ $350, plus whatever card your using. It would also be much more powerful too. Also it might scale better than a reg tri xfire, cuz each card would be supporting its respective monitor.

Of course, if my memory is wrong and I actually dreamed up the possibility of the ati cards doing that, then my solution is moooot.

Edit: I just read the part about you not being able to find games that support the tri monitor. I've seen videos of HL2 being displayed on tri monitor. I also know for sure that fallout 3 supports it right out of the box. You just use the cheat or the setting (can't remember) and set your field of vision to like 170 max i think. I know it would work in your situation because I was able to do it with my one, single monitor. (ever try sing 170 degree vision with a regular aspect ratio? its like putting one of those fisheye lenses on a DSLR, same effect if your using a small screen LOL)

also, now that were on the topic. I think I'll wait till this kind of screen is available,
Next-Gen Displays: Extensible OLED Display Is the Stuff Dreams Are Made Of
before I try the super wide screen. I want this monitor BAD! so I can wrap it around my FACE!
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500gb
RAM: G.Skill 4GB @ 576mhz (4.4.4.12)
PSU: Seasonic SS-400ET

Last edited by Bucklaz; February 4, 2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old February 5, 2009, 05:40 AM
Banned

Yes they were sold out. 20 extra pixels are not that much to lose though IMHO.

The Matrox "fools" the PC into thinking that you have one ultra wde monitor instead of three single ones I guess.....hence the price tag.

That OLED monitor looks SWEET!!!! However I bet the price tag is also as sweet......
Old February 5, 2009, 08:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Not a huge fan of Acer monitors, usually the price is what attracts people to them. 20 extra pixels is not only what you're loosing with these monitors less than acceptable colour reproduction, bleeding and as far as I am concerned 1920x1080 on computer monitor is just weird the very reason I don't use my HDMI interface. The average rating this monitor receieved from the reiviews I read was a 6/10, but you get what you pay for and as long as you're happy with your purchase it really doesn't matter.

Regards,

EE
Old February 5, 2009, 10:16 AM
Banned

O I respect your opinion but this model I think that even you would be happy with. It is better than my friends SAMSUNG 24 inch. He wants to trade and I refused him! LOL!!!!!!!!