Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Display Units (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/)
-   -   Just bought a Samsung 206BW (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/1443-just-bought-samsung-206bw.html)

Shiverwarp May 29, 2007 11:40 PM

Just bought a Samsung 206BW

Great monitor, love it so far.

Just wondering, I've been noticing some Motion blur type effect in games like BF2 and CSS when I strafe or aim at a certain speed.

I should be expecting this right? It's 2ms response time.

Anything I can do about it? Or just get used to it?

Hookflash July 20, 2007 06:58 PM

Not to hijack your thread or anything, but I have a quick question...
Do you get a blank white screen when you turn your monitor on without plugging it into a video source?
The reason I ask is that I got the same monitor and all I'm getting is a blank white screen whether or not I plug it into my VGA card. If that's just what it displays by default (i.e., when it isn't getting a video signal), then my VGA might be the culprit; otherwise, it's the monitor. I would at least expect it to display some sort of error message (e.g., "No signal") when it's not plugged into anything, but you never know...

sswilson July 20, 2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hookflash (Post 14798)
Not to hijack your thread or anything, but I have a quick question...
Do you get a blank white screen when you turn your monitor on without plugging it into a video source?
The reason I ask is that I got the same monitor and all I'm getting is a blank white screen whether or not I plug it into my VGA card. If that's just what it displays by default (i.e., when it isn't getting a video signal), then my VGA might be the culprit; otherwise, it's the monitor. I would at least expect it to display some sort of error message (e.g., "No signal") when it's not plugged into anything, but you never know...

A blank white screen sounds pretty suspicious.

I don't have the same model, but my 19" samsung displays a black screen with a blue & white box in the corner displaying the words analog or digital as it tries to find a signal.

I'll power down and unplug it to see what I get, but like I said... a white screen is pretty suspicious.......

Hookflash July 20, 2007 07:07 PM

sswilson: Yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards the monitor being defective at this point. I really hope that's the case, seeing as how I just RMA'd it. ;-)

sswilson July 20, 2007 07:16 PM

Yeah, just powered down and unplugged the cable......

Got a black screen with a blue & white box saying "check signal cable".

The only other thing it might be is the cable itself, but again a full white screen would be pretty wierd AFAIC.

Hookflash July 20, 2007 07:18 PM

sswilson: Thanks for confirming. Now to order another one of these suckers...

JD July 20, 2007 10:05 PM

You'll have to get used to the motion blur, it's just how LCDs are. Those ratings they give you are usually way off. The monitor probably never achieves a true 2ms in the real-world since the 2ms is grey-to-grey. Not multiple colours to other colours.

Jmac July 22, 2007 12:00 AM

Yeah, you'll never see anywhere close to the rated speed with most monitors in most situations. Mind you, the 2 ms rating on the 206BW is rated with the Samsung panel; the AU Optronics and Chi Mei Optoelectronics panels may (and probably will) not have the same response time (or picture quality, colour settings, etc.)