Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28, 2009, 08:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default New LCD tv

Hey everyone, I need some suggestions. We're getting rid of our DLP tv finally. We already have a panasonic 50" plasma. We want a 50" 1080p. Now, I'm not sure if we want LCD or plasma, as we watch a lot of sports and action movies. Last time i looked (christmas last year) plasma was better for sports/ action movies because of the faster response time. Also, we'd like to keep it as cheap as possible.

Edit: I know its 52", but I can't find any 50" LCD's Future Shop: TV & Video: 50" & Larger TVs: Sharp Aquos 52" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV** (LC52D65U) Hows that one?

Last edited by Phobia; January 28, 2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old January 28, 2009, 09:27 AM
Top Prospect

I've heard that if you're gonna be doing any gaming, an lcd is a must over a plasma. Someone also told me that colours are better on plasma but i couldn't tell you to be honest, i'm color blind. From my experience with aquos tv's, they seem to be pretty awesome but u pay quite a premium. I'd be inclined to go with a samsung but that's because i'm loyal to them for all the great products of theirs that i own.
RAM: OCZ 4gb Platinum ddr2 800mghz
Video: Sapphire HD 5970
DIsplay: Benq 24 inch display
Old January 28, 2009, 02:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

don't bother with that tv it's only 60hz. I would try to get a 120hz tv as it creates a much smoother picture especially when watching blueray movies.

Old January 28, 2009, 03:20 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Personally, I hate the way 120Hz looks but it is a must if you are gaming on your TV.

Another feature that I find is a MUST is digital noise reduction. I was watching Battlestar Galactica on DVD the other day and the amount of picture noise was absolutely disgusting. Changing the noise reduction on the Sammy 850 blasted all that crap away and resulted in a reasonably smooth picture.

Last edited by SKYMTL; January 28, 2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old January 28, 2009, 03:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As far as I've seen, you can game on plasma just as well- burn-in used to be the issue from HUDs and windows desktop sitting on screen for long periods- now decent plasmas have better wipes to clear any burn in that might occur and better lifespans than they used to. I do some of my gaming on a panasonic viera plasma and it looks great.
Old January 28, 2009, 06:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I remember reading on AnandTech or somoething that 120Hz TVs are actually 60Hz TVs, but with the same image being processed twice or something.

That said, I have a 42" Sony Z4100 and it's really good. Still gotta calibrate it though to get better colours off my SD digital signal. Look into a 50" Z4100 or XBR6 or Samsung LNA650/750/850.

avsforums.com. A site dedicated to home theatres and TV.
Old January 29, 2009, 12:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

We won't be doing any gaming on it. The games will be going on the current plasma in the other room. and like babrbarossa said, newer plasmas don't have that problem of burn in.
Old January 29, 2009, 12:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

but do you plan to watch blu-ray movies on it. if not then go with 60hz if you do then get the 120hz.