Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Display Units (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/)
-   -   2 computers, one monitor....... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/display-units/13386-2-computers-one-monitor.html)

rob123 December 30, 2008 04:41 PM

2 computers, one monitor.......

nearly have a server finished and was wondering about a monitor. dont really want to buy a monitor just to look in once in awhile on the server. i thought about a kvm switch but reviews i have read on nearly every model out there are not encouraging.

so, i have a samsung syncmaster 226bw. we all know it has 2 inputs. dvi and vga.

right now i have my system hooked up to the dvi port. can i hook up the server to the vga port and simply switch between the 2?

i realize i would have to get another keyboard and mouse but with all the boxing day specials out there , that wouldnt be a problem.

thx for any info

rob123

sswilson December 30, 2008 05:03 PM

Yes. I ran the exact same setup for a while with my Samsung 19".

If you want to use the same keyboard/mouse you can pick up a KVM switch, or there's a few decent programs out there that allow fairly seamless switching between two different computers (basically remote control).

BT! December 30, 2008 05:06 PM

unless there is a input select i dont think you'll be able to switch, you should set up your server so you can log into it through remote desktop, just like you would do for a colocated server.

sswilson December 30, 2008 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BT! (Post 132947)
unless there is a input select i dont think you'll be able to switch, you should set up your server so you can log into it through remote desktop, just like you would do for a colocated server.

I've owned 3 different samsung model LCDs, and each one had an easily accessable input switch.

BT! December 30, 2008 05:11 PM

just googled it and seen it has a "source" button, you should be able to use it for both. also, if you want to share the keyboard and mouse theres a program called Synergy that works well through your network. easy to set-up if you follow the directions. :)

rob123 December 30, 2008 05:13 PM

actually there is an input select. i only have samsung monitors and i thought all monitors had them. i can pick between analog or digital.

SS Wilson, i thought about kvm switches. besides widely differing prices there were 2 extremes of opinion on nearly every model i could find. there didnt seem to be much of a consensus on any model, except perhaps the vga only ones and i have no use for that.

besides i can pick up a mouse/keyboard for $25 at a boxing day sale.

cheers and thx

rob123

BT! December 30, 2008 05:17 PM

never owned a samsung, and my old benq and sonicviews never had a way to switch. my new benq does though :D

lowfat December 30, 2008 07:22 PM

My vote goes just to use VNC. I control 3 PC's via VNC on my Mac. A lot easier than changing the inputs all the time.

Cptn Vortex December 30, 2008 08:02 PM

Rob, I have a Desktop and a Server, and I was using a basic USB KVM switch to switch the keyboard and mouse between computers, then I just manually selected the input on the monitor. This way I just didnt use the VGA cables from the KVM, only the USB part.

CanadaRox December 30, 2008 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 133001)
My vote goes just to use VNC. I control 3 PC's via VNC on my Mac. A lot easier than changing the inputs all the time.

Another vote for VNC. I've used one to control my server for a while now.