Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28, 2008, 12:52 AM
MVP

Your right about that, Sonys do have some sweet aesthetical designs. Does that one have transparent glass frames like this one?

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/grap.../sony_xbr5.jpg
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500gb
RAM: G.Skill 4GB @ 576mhz (4.4.4.12)
PSU: Seasonic SS-400ET
Old December 28, 2008, 01:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucklaz View Post
Your right about that, Sonys do have some sweet aesthetical designs. Does that one have transparent glass frames like this one?

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/grap.../sony_xbr5.jpg
Nah, but thats the style my father wants, the one geokilla got is this, 46" with the silver brushed aluminum bezel(think lian-li)

And this is the one I own (bought mid 2007), 52" with black brushed aluminum bezel(think lian-li)

Can you tell I like the brushed aluminum look?

Since I've lost my job recently I can't afford it, but I want a 40" Z series for my bedroom. Thats near the top of my shopping list once I obtain a new job, and can afford it. My older W series TV just looks fat next to the Z series
Old December 28, 2008, 01:15 AM
MVP

Jeez, what kinda jobs do you have man?

I hope when I graduate, i'll be making enough money to be buying Flagship class television sets.

Anyways its gettin late, night man.
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500gb
RAM: G.Skill 4GB @ 576mhz (4.4.4.12)
PSU: Seasonic SS-400ET
Old December 28, 2008, 08:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Whoa. I got out for a night and don't check my thread and all this info happens. Why didn't you post this sooner?!?! Chances of getting a Samsung woulda went up lol.

@Chilly. Mine's black, so it's even sexier. http://www.sonystyle.ca/common/image...4100B_fl_1.jpg

It does have good specs and everything, but the Samsung just looks a bit better in terms of feature. Too bad none of the stores had any on display and Future Shop was only selling the 750 series online for Boxing Day.
Old December 28, 2008, 01:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Whoa. I got out for a night and don't check my thread and all this info happens. Why didn't you post this sooner?!?! Chances of getting a Samsung woulda went up lol.

@Chilly. Mine's black, so it's even sexier. http://www.sonystyle.ca/common/image...4100B_fl_1.jpg

It does have good specs and everything, but the Samsung just looks a bit better in terms of feature. Too bad none of the stores had any on display and Future Shop was only selling the 750 series online for Boxing Day.
I was just stating the facts, like I said SD contents going to look better on the Sony than the Samsung, also since the Z series is a top end model, so its missing no features that the Sammy would of had. The comment about Sammy's having better features really only applies to the(Sony's) V series and below, the W, Z, and XBR's being Sony's top end models, are just as well, if not better than the Samsung's.

Again, its only with the V series and below(the price range most people look at), that the Samsung's are typically more feature filled. Once you go further up the ladder(W, Z, XBR, in that order), that they really become so evenly matched that it really comes down to personal preference. Regardless of the Samsung vs Sony argument, you made a REALLY good choice with the Z series.
Old December 28, 2008, 02:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
I was just stating the facts, like I said SD contents going to look better on the Sony than the Samsung, also since the Z series is a top end model, so its missing no features that the Sammy would of had. The comment about Sammy's having better features really only applies to the(Sony's) V series and below, the W, Z, and XBR's being Sony's top end models, are just as well, if not better than the Samsung's.

Again, its only with the V series and below(the price range most people look at), that the Samsung's are typically more feature filled. Once you go further up the ladder(W, Z, XBR, in that order), that they really become so evenly matched that it really comes down to personal preference. Regardless of the Samsung vs Sony argument, you made a REALLY good choice with the Z series.
Yipee! Now I just have to ship that from the store on Leslie and Hwy 7 to my house which is like a 10 min drive.....

I posted this on the AVS forum, but do you guys think we can do it safely by putting in the the back seats of our Volvo S70? I heard it should fit in a BMW M3 with the rear seats folded down, and that the best way to transport LCD TV is by keeping it upright.
Old December 28, 2008, 03:02 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Samsung. My father just bought a 46XBR6 and it just can't compare to the Sammy 850-series in terms of PQ.

However, the Sony has some great features.
Old December 28, 2008, 03:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, we're downgrading the TV size from 46" to 40". It would've been a tight fit in our corner at 46". So anyways, KDL-46Z4100 for $1499 + tax. Good buy for the price I assume?
Old December 28, 2008, 06:11 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Nah, but thats the style my father wants, the one geokilla got is this, 46" with the silver brushed aluminum bezel(think lian-li)

And this is the one I own (bought mid 2007), 52" with black brushed aluminum bezel(think lian-li)

Can you tell I like the brushed aluminum look?

Since I've lost my job recently I can't afford it, but I want a 40" Z series for my bedroom. Thats near the top of my shopping list once I obtain a new job, and can afford it. My older W series TV just looks fat next to the Z series
damn, thats a nice looking TV, you, sir, definitely have good tastes
Old January 6, 2009, 12:06 PM
Rookie

I've got the Sony TV and the upconverting of signals from the SVid and Composite cables is phenomenal.

I'm sure this will be the standard with all newer TV's, but so far I think Sony has done it best.

Now, that being said, the best thing to do is get a receiver to do all the 1080p upconverting.
VIDEO:
ASUS Radeon 4870X2 (2 x 750 MHz, 2 x 1GB DDR5)
MEMORY: 8GB RAM (4 x 2 GB DDR3-1333MHz 7-7-7-20)
DISK: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (2 x 500GB)
WATER COOLING: Tt Bigwater 780e for CPU
WATER COOLING: Tt Bigwater 760i for GPU
WATER BLOCK CPU: Tt LGA775 Copper Block (3/8" fittings)
WATER BLOCK GPU: Danger Den 4870X2 Copper Block (1/2" fittings)
WATER BLOCK CHIPSET: ASUS Onboard Copper Block