Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 17, 2008, 06:17 PM
Rookie

Default A question about monitors (especially w2408h)

Hi! I'm looking at buying a new computer monitor. I currently have a 20" Dell and its great, but I want to upgrade to a 24". I'm not the type of buyer to just walk into a store and buy whatever I see. I research a lot before. Now the thing is, there are many monitors with great reviews on Newegg. The ones that stand out the most for me are these: Samsung T240HD, Samsung 2493, Dell 2408WFP, BenQ G2400W and HP w2408h.

If money was not a factor I'd go for the Dell, but at 700 CAD its just too expensive (unless I could get a great deal after Christmas). So I go to Future Shop and they have a few models that I listed, both Samsungs and the HP. I particularly like the HP because of the stand and the great reviews. One thing I don't understand is that many of the reviews comment on the image quality and the lack of blacklight bleedthrough compared to other monitors (this is important to me). However, when I went to see it in the store, the picture was indeed awesome, but there was A LOT of bleedthrough.

So my question is, is it possible that this particular one was defective? Why would this one have so much bleedthrough while one of its strong points in reviews is the lack of bleeding? The 22 inch version of this monitor didn't have this problem whatsoever.

They also had both Samsungs at the store but they weren't hooked up too a computer but some video with a crappy resolution so it's hard to compare... although I did notice that the samsung was much less bright than the LG beside it.
Old December 18, 2008, 05:18 AM
Allstar

I have the 2493 and I'm really happy with this monitor. I originally bought the Dell 2408 but returned it due to being way too bring and too much backlight bleed. I also didn't see an almost $300 price difference. While the 2493 doesn't have the color gamut of the Dell (as you would guess since the Samsung is a tn) that's about the only negative I can think of with this unit. Oh yeah, that and the control buttons. It has the flat soft touch buttons which are really annoying and unless you have good lighting you will need a flashlight to see which buttons to hit haha. Now that I've calibrated it though I rarely use them so it's almost a non issue. Since I like my monitors to be a little less bright then what most people tend to use there is very little backlight bleed, even compared to my 226bw.

Hope that helps.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N