Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27, 2008, 08:49 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Samsung LN52A850 Review Comment Thread

Even though this review will continue to evolve over the next few weeks, now is as good a time as any to post a comment thread.

You can find the review here: Samsung LN52A850 52 120Hz, 1080P LCD TV: The Living Review

Expect there to be updates to the review every Thursday for the next few weeks.

ENJOY!!
Old November 27, 2008, 10:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Oh wow! Just Oh WOooow! Man this screen looks like a killer one! I read most of the review and man, that would make my Home Theater look even better! I can't imagine how gaming in HD would look like with this screen! I bet Cod 5 on it =
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14
Old November 27, 2008, 10:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Great review that is awesome. Gaming in HD. I've played COD 4 on my friend's PS3 on his 65" Toshiba LCD

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com
Old November 27, 2008, 10:17 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Like the new review format, the price of that beast is a pill thats a little to bit(t)er for me, maybe in a smaller size...

Old November 28, 2008, 04:40 AM

Next week's update will probably involve gaming (finally bought myself another PS3) and updating the firmware. I am a bit hesitant about upgrading the firmware since I think it erases ALL of your settings but it needs to be done in this case.
Old November 28, 2008, 06:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Next week's update will probably involve gaming (finally bought myself another PS3) and updating the firmware. I am a bit hesitant about upgrading the firmware since I think it erases ALL of your settings but it needs to be done in this case.
I read the review, but did I miss something? Why does the firmware on a TV need to be updated, IMO TV's should never need to be "patched" or "updated", seems very few people would have the skill necessary to do it(outside of places like HWC ofc). Seems like a big black mark to me. I look forward to reading further updates to the review none the less.
Old November 28, 2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
I read the review, but did I miss something? Why does the firmware on a TV need to be updated, IMO TV's should never need to be "patched" or "updated", seems very few people would have the skill necessary to do it(outside of places like HWC ofc). Seems like a big black mark to me. I look forward to reading further updates to the review none the less.
You don't really HAVE to update the firmware on this TV but it is ridiculously easy to do. All you have to do is go onto the Samsung site, download the firmware to a USB flash drive and plug the drive into your TV. Then you just go into Software Update and the TV detects the file on the drive and updates itself.

The reason I am doing this is simple: the updated firmware is supposed to eliminate the intereference between this TV and many IR remotes. In addition, my firmware revision (1000.3) is earlier than that many retail TVs have (1002.0) since it is one of the first off the production line.

In addition to that, the reason people think updating the firmware on their TVs is because companies have made it so damn hard to do it in the past. Samsung on the other hand has improved many aspects of their newer TVs through firmware updates.
Old November 28, 2008, 08:12 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yah usb port is a nice feature.
Old November 28, 2008, 08:30 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I have a 52" Samsung 1080p LCD LNT5265 and some of these newer Samsung TV's make me really want to find a reason to replace my current one.

Damn them, and being expensive
Old November 28, 2008, 08:36 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I'm a total noob when it comes down to HD TV, but I have one question: no DVI port? Or does the HDMI ports take over?