LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2009, 05:18 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

WOW!!! You are right.

http://www.leons.ca/shared/product/p...ItemId=1397799
Old January 20, 2009, 05:44 PM
Rookie

Yea, pretty amazing.

The Ontario chain ` 2001 Audio.Video' has the 850 on for $3199 - not too bad either.

2001 Audio/Video
Old January 25, 2009, 03:49 PM
Trial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorror View Post
Even better - I was able to play MPEGs from my PC using the USB port (via a flash drive to which I copied the files) - I use my PC to record hi def OTA shows, but I always had to watch them on the computer. Now, with an extra step of copying to the USB flash drive, I can enjoy them (in stunning quality) on the 52A850...this is a huge plus for me.
I know this was posted over a month ago but did you know that you can play those MPG, JPG and other file formats directly from your PC to your Samsung if you have them both connected to an Ethernet cable on your LAN? You have to install the Samsung Share Manager that is included on a CD with your TV or d/l from the Samsung website.

The reason I mentioned this is that during the Christmas holidays I had friends and relatives over. I wanted to show off my new TV and, like you, I copied a bunch of movies and photos onto a USB thumb drive and played them through the TV. It worked but I later learned about the DLNA and Share Manager and now I know how to play those files directly from my PC.
Old January 25, 2009, 04:03 PM

The issue is sometimes getting the Ethernet cable to your TV. I don't know about you but my TV is in a different room from my router and I would have to make a beeline through several walls to route a cable to my TV.

However, a little bird tells me that their upcoming post-950 series TVs will come with full wireless and Bluetooth compatibility.
Old January 25, 2009, 05:45 PM
Top Prospect

Kind of a noob but whats the difference between Dynamic and True contrast ratio?
Old January 25, 2009, 08:23 PM

Dynamic will adjust the contrast ratio on the fly by usually dimming the backlight in an LCD TV.

True contrast ratio is a bit harder. Basically, these 100000000000:1 contrast ratio you are seeing on marketing mumbo jumbo (read: literature) or whatever the hell they are using these days is measured using optimal lighting conditions (with the display in a completely black room). However, we all know that contrast ratio will be impacted by external lighting sources like the sun, a street lamp outside the window or any small source of light for that matter. The true contrast ratio is measured through real-world conditions and ALWAYS results in a SIGNIFICANTLY lower contrast ratio than the one listed by the manufacturer.
Old January 30, 2009, 10:03 AM
Trial Member

Default Looking to buy Samsung LN52A850 - Does the 120HZ work?

I'm looking to buy the Samsung LN52A850...I've read the review, excellent review with lots of good information. My question is with the 120HZ refresh, how does the LN52A850 handle fast motion, IE hockey games or even Auto racing? There new LCD TVs that now 240HZ...Any comments
Old January 30, 2009, 10:08 AM

Hockey games look AMAZING since the camera needs to move quite quickly in the first place but to me F1 racing looks like it is moving too fast. The best option is to keep the setting on LOW when watching sports. Alot of people think low looks good on movies as well but I don't like it one bit.
Old January 30, 2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels View Post
There new LCD TVs that now 240HZ...Any comments
I already have issues with 120Hz LCDs because none of them available today uses a TRUE 120Hz panel. Rather the images are interpolated (ie: a frame is artificially inserted between two true frames which turns 60Hz into "120Hz") which can cause the effect I have come to know as a "camera on rails".

240Hz sets insert FOUR "articificial" frames between every two natural frames. I saw a few of these sets at CES and there was a marked appearance of artifacting in some scenes. Once again, until LCD TVs move to true 120Hz technology like some DLP and LCD computer monitors, these issues will keep popping up.