Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 8, 2008, 02:07 PM
Trial Member

Last Friday (Dec 5) I received the LN52A850 that I had ordered earlier in the week from Amazon. I was impressed with their delivery service btw (they unboxed and set up and basic-working tested the TV before they left).

It is incredible! I have been looking at it for months but the price was a deterrent. With the economy in a shambles and the overproduction of LCDs, the price finally fell into my range.

I'm still toying with the TV as there is so much it can do! My wife loves the built-in content which will allow you to display a slideshow of artwork, nature scenes, etc. And I of course love the incredible picture. The USB port is a huge plus that I didn't even know I was going to use all that much. But I have put family photos on it to display as a giant picture frame, and the picture quality even there is extremely good.
Even better - I was able to play MPEGs from my PC using the USB port (via a flash drive to which I copied the files) - I use my PC to record hi def OTA shows, but I always had to watch them on the computer. Now, with an extra step of copying to the USB flash drive, I can enjoy them (in stunning quality) on the 52A850...this is a huge plus for me.

The blu-ray playback is absolutely stunning. The jury's still out for me on the auto-motion bit - I like it - at least on low, the kids love it, and the wife hates it. But the great thing is - you can just turn it off and the picture is still outstanding.

I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase at this point - had to share. We'll see how it goes in the next few weeks, but the only thing I see getting worse is how spoiled I'll be by this TV and how little I will want to watch anywhere else!

Oh and I should mention - Kudos to the reviewer...a very thorough review and I appreciate your perspective!
Old December 25, 2008, 09:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So...it's been a month. Update please! We're gonna purchase a TV soon...lol
Old December 25, 2008, 05:24 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Working on it as we speak. We had a break-in and things like the PS3 and Bell HD box were stolen. Luckily I guess the punks didn't know what a GPU looked like or I would have been REALLY screwed.

Anyways, sorry for the delay.
Old December 25, 2008, 09:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

o.O. Did you manage to retrieve anything, like the PS3? That sucks man....>.<. I'm surprised they didn't take your TV though...

What GPUs do you have? You make it sound like you have at least $1000 worth of GPUs or something.

What's a good TV to buy? Sony XBR6/7, or Samsung LN46A850? I think I can get the Samsung for around $2000, if not less than that.
Old December 26, 2008, 03:11 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Considering Sky does GPU reviewing, I imagine it's significantly more than $1000 in GPUs at this point....I hate to think what it would all add up to retail.

Sorry to hear about the break-in; people suck.
Old December 26, 2008, 05:43 PM

Considering with the amount of GPUs I now have under lock and key (including what I am sure are some VERY valuable pre-production NDA models), they could have made off with about 7K in GPUs alone.

I now have all my computer parts in a 400lb gun cabinet I bought at Costco. I'd like to see them make off with that sucker.

They got the PS3, a bunch of Blu Rays, my receiver, Bell HDPVR and my nice LG microwave.
Old December 29, 2008, 09:00 AM
Rookie

Wow. Really sorry to hear about the break-in. Terrible any time of year, but seems more harsh during the holidays.

We received our LN52A850 on Christmas eve via Amazon (and unwrapped a PS3 on xmas day), so I'll be checking back in anticipation of your updates.
Old January 19, 2009, 05:46 AM
Rookie

I Googled reviews for the Samsung LN52A850 and was pleasantly surprised to find one here - thanks SKYMTL. (and sorry to hear about the break-in)

Your review not only confirmed my decision to go with Samsung but to also go up to the 850 from the 700 series. We went out and purchased one this past weekend at FS. Btw FS listed at 3699 but matched a sale price at a Furniture/Electronics store of 2999. Of course, he sold us a Blue Ray player and a bunch of other stuff too at a competitive price.

It arrives next weekend - in the meantime I'm looking forward to the rest of your review.
Old January 19, 2009, 05:58 AM

$2999 is an amazing price. My parents are looking at this TV now so can you tell me where you found that $2999 price?
Old January 19, 2009, 03:31 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
$2999 is an amazing price. My parents are looking at this TV now so can you tell me where you found that $2999 price?
Leon's has it for that price on sale and the salesman at Futureshop - after checking the Leons website gave it to us at the same price. Hope that helps.