Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2008, 07:23 AM
Banned

Default DVI-I vs HDMI what shoud I use....

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM. with a GTX 260 is ther any benfit to using DVI vs HDMI. The card came with a DVI to HDMI adapter and the screen has both ports on it. So what do you sugest?
Thanks
Old November 13, 2008, 07:34 AM
Banned
F@H

use the dvi if you use external speakers. If the monitor has speakers that you use, then use HDMI.

In the end, the only real difference is the inclusion of sound on HDMI...both are digital, and both should be HDCP-compliant.
Old November 13, 2008, 07:36 AM
MVP

HDMI = possibility to have audio as well via a spdif connection between the card and the motherboard/soundcard. DVI have no audio pass-throught so you need to connect it via other means.

Proud to be [H]ard !
Old November 13, 2008, 03:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
use the dvi if you use external speakers. If the monitor has speakers that you use, then use HDMI.

In the end, the only real difference is the inclusion of sound on HDMI...both are digital, and both should be HDCP-compliant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilikon View Post
HDMI = possibility to have audio as well via a spdif connection between the card and the motherboard/soundcard. DVI have no audio pass-throught so you need to connect it via other means.
Just to clear it up a 3rd time

HDMI = Audio travels along side a Video signal codec the same as a DVI signal
DVI = Video signal only, exact same signal as would be sent on hdmi sans(minus) audio.

That being said some monitors scale their HDMI ports different then plain jane DVI ports, for this reason alone I would ignore the HDMI port and connect using DVI.
Old November 13, 2008, 03:45 PM
Banned
F@H

Post whore.
Old November 13, 2008, 04:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
Post whore.
Hey now I had a valid point all by its self (about how some monitors *treat* HDMI ports differently than DVI ports even thou the signal video signal is electrically all the same), I just felt like clarifying both there points into one nice post