Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 8, 2008, 09:07 PM
Rookie

Default Samsung 2343BW

Well, my first thread on Hardware Canucks, and it's on a piece of hardware that I'm quite pleased with. I bought the Samsung 2343BW today, and it's a great value. It's a 23" monitor with a native resolution of 2048x1152. That's actually sort of inconvenient, to be honest, because playing things at 1080p actually basically turns it into a 22" HD monitor; it leaves a black band around the screen rather than resize the image to its native resolution. Hey, it cost $299 at Future Shop, I had a gift card, and everything else in my price range was 1680x1050.

The monitor connects to its base with a fully adjustable tilt, rather than the 4-way tilt advertised on other Samsung monitors I saw. It exhibits the same grainy sort of surface I've come to expect from LCDs (I'm an unashamed CRT lover). It has both DVI and the old-style ports (is the old style properly termed D-Sub, RGB, or Analog? I can never tell). It also comes with a clip to hold your power and video cables together, because cable management is important.

I had been led to believe (from the user's guide, in fact) that this monitor came with a miniature USB hub in the stand. No, it doesn't, but you might be able to salvage one from another Samsung monitor's base.

I'm going to revisit the resolution for a second, because it really is great. Apparently, Samsung chose this resolution over the far more standard 1920x1080 because 2048x1152 is just the right size to put two documents side-by-side at 100% zoom. Well, it is, and it's nice. The pixels are actually so small that I can't use this monitor without my glasses. It's hard to find desktop backgrounds at this resolution, though, and stretching just isn't the same.

I don't know about other LCD monitors, but this one only stretches certain resolutions out to its full dimensions, which was not something I was prepared for. My choices are 2048x1152, which is beautifully clear, and lesser resolutions like 1280x720, which looks smudgy and is frankly unsatisfying. It doesn't help that until sometime next week, I'm stuck on a Dell so ancient that it hasn't even cracked the 2 GHz mark. 2048x1152 is more monitor that it's really prepared for. I have a 9600... but it's a Radeon 9600. ANCIENT. Frankly, I'm surprised it can even output at this resolution without smoke pouring out the back. Oh well, a shiny and mostly new watercooled rig is so close I can smell it's dual-core goodness.

Is it just me, or are LCDs just unsatisfying for gaming? I mean, forget the issues with ghosting and such; those are issues of the past. What I mean is that unless you can play everything at the native resolution, everything is going to look like crap. Rescaling pixels just seems dumb. A CRT is honest. If you set a CRT to 1280*960, it displays 1280x960 pixels, not 1600x1200 pixels disguised as 1280x960. Anyway, I'll see how I like it when it's blowing me away with Fallout 3.
Old November 9, 2008, 09:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Hey, it cost $299 at Future Shop,
You really have to do your homework when purchasing monitors and any other Hardware from FS...for example, a lot of folks don't realize that they will price match distributers such Direct Canada and NCIX!!! We all know that both of these companies can offer significantly lower prices than FS. For example, this is what I picked up:

1. Samsung Syncmaster 2443 BW 24" Native Resolution - 1920 x 1200 (great for gaming) - price (great deal) - CDN$319.00
2. Logitech G51 5.1 Surround Sound System - FS Price $229 - Direct Canada $169.99 - Future Shop price matched to $189.99 (they added shipping / insurance)

I find FS bounces thier prices (especially for monitors all over the place).
Anyhow, glad you like your new flat screen!
Old November 10, 2008, 06:41 AM
Rookie

Well then. I guess I have some thinking to do about the 2343 vs the 2443.

Somehow, Future Shop never told me they price matched.

Edit: I am now the proud owner of a 2443. The upgrade cost me $45, including the 4 year plan, because they're on sale right now for $329 or so, compared to $299 for the 2343. In retrospect, 16:10 ratios are much more supported than 16:9, and natively supporting 1920 horizontal resolution makes 1080p easier.

Thanks, rjbarker!

Last edited by MrDeodorant; November 10, 2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old November 10, 2008, 12:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Well then. I guess I have some thinking to do about the 2343 vs the 2443.

Somehow, Future Shop never told me they price matched.

Edit: I am now the proud owner of a 2443. The upgrade cost me $45, including the 4 year plan, because they're on sale right now for $329 or so, compared to $299 for the 2343. In retrospect, 16:10 ratios are much more supported than 16:9, and natively supporting 1920 horizontal resolution makes 1080p easier.

Thanks, rjbarker!
No Future Shop will never "tell you" point blank that they will Price Match "online" distributors, because they know how much cheaper they are.....The key is to do your Homework, find the same product at the significantly lower price online, then hit the sales guy with it when they'rebusy and there are a bunch of "interested" customers standing around....be bold and know exactly what your talking about...works everytime!!
Congrats on that 2443 BW, yep great monitor...5 ms response time is nice, great colors and nice size (any bigger would be too big on my desk)...glad I could help!
Old November 13, 2008, 02:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

one trick futureshop has been pulling lately when price matching at NCIX is adding the price of the most expensive shipping they can find on NCIX to the price match- I founD that when I argued with the salesman, they dropped the shipping price down to ground shipping, but if you ask me, it's still a scam.

Last edited by Babrbarossa; November 13, 2008 at 11:09 PM. Reason: sp.
Old November 13, 2008, 08:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
one trick futureshop has been pulling lately when price matching at NCIX is adding the price of the most expensive shipping they can find on NCIX to the price match- I founf that whne I argues with the salesman, they dropped the shipping price down to ground shipping, but if you ask me, it's still a scam.
Thats EXACTLY what they did to me when I purchased my Surround System - c'mon...Air Freight from Richmond BC to Vancouver Island...please.....