Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 30, 2008, 02:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Need info on LCD TV

Hey,

I have the option to pick up an LCD/Plasma TV through work for dirt cheap, 200 bucks for a 37"-42". My problem is; I do not watch TV and my living room dosn't even have a TV in it; I do watch blueray/dvd though that's usually done from the comfort of my bed!

Thus; I plan on using this unit with my computer - I know my LCD monitor specs quite well; my question is - do these apply directly to lcd/plasma TV's?

Obviously I want to see it and find which has the best image; as well highest contrast ratio and best response time possible; but what I'm curious to know from people who use 30" and above screens as their main display what issues they can run into and what I should look for when choosing my display.

Please also suggest models; but keep in mind I can only select from Sharp, Sony, or Samsung (The Sharp and Sony's are exactly the same screens with different casings; being both made in the exact same factories).

Thanks!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 30, 2008, 02:21 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I played many many hours of oblivion hooked up to my 1024x768 res 42" plasma, but now that we have the horsepower to push it, i'd get a 1080p.
Old October 30, 2008, 02:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

this pc in my sig,is hooked to a 40" sammy LCD only has resolution of 720,i run @1024x768, im very happy with it.
i also have a 37" LCD noname(lg panel i beleive),works same as samsung but wont let you boot to bios like samsung does, so when need to enter bios on 37" you need to hookup a moitor to see anything,its a PITA ...
i vote for samsung :) although i never tried sony or sharp..

"Be so good at what you do that you cant be ignored"

Old October 30, 2008, 03:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Do you know if any of them are 1080p? I'd get whatever has 1080p since it'll make a nice monitor

I have a 40" Bravia from last year (which is way outdated now) but it supports 1080p and I have my HTPC hooked up to it via a DVI-to-HDMI cable (7900GTO) and it looks nice and crisp standing right in front of it. Obviously if you wanted to use it as a monitor you'd have to sit back a couple feet so you could see the entire screen but it could potentially be usable. Might need to increase the font sizes however since things get pretty tiny at 1920x1080.

In general, TV's use way better panels than the majority of LCD monitors so the it'll look pretty good regardless of the specs. Plus each company has their own testing methods so it's never an accurate comparison.

If you can view them all in person with some HD content playing, I'd just pick based on which one I consider looks the best. Though I'd also ensure all the display settings are on "default" or "standard" not those vivid/game/movie/sport modes or whatever.
Old October 30, 2008, 03:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

A) Yes, they are all 1080p

&

B) I can view all of them in person as we have hundreds of each in our warehouse and I work with them every day.

C) AS for the BIOS thing; I have a 22" Samsung I intend to keep off to the side for such an occasion; it's what I use as my main now - I'd like to use it as a second desktop but I am not sure Nvidia's drivers support that when in SLI (Although apparently they will soon).
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old October 30, 2008, 04:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Been using a Sharp Aquos 37" 720P for over a year now as my main PC screen in living room. Get a cordless keyboard and mouse and a media center type remote and you are set. Clear picture and no problem with text, older panel with 6ms response time yet no problem in games. Here's a pic.

Old October 30, 2008, 04:21 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Forgot to mention it allows you to boot in to BIOS.
Old October 30, 2008, 04:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDogZero View Post
Forgot to mention it allows you to boot in to BIOS.
My 40" Bravia does too. So does my brother's LG 26" (720p) using VGA.

Might just be that some TVs won't accept 640x480 over certain inputs perhaps.
Old October 30, 2008, 04:35 PM

My System Specs

I've been using a Sharp LC32D64U for about 5-6 months now as my sole display. Only issue that I know of if using VGA it will only go as high as 1600x1200 (who really would use VGA anyways?).

Once you get use to the text being larger it really is easier on the eyes.

In all seriousness I don't think I'll ever go back to a monitor.
Old October 30, 2008, 04:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I love my 42" Aquos. Max vga input res is 1600x1200, but use a HDMI input and you're at 1080p from your computer. I've never run across anyone who bought an Aquos and didn't like it.