Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Display Units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8, 2008, 07:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default now for time to buy lcd or wait?

just curious... do you think we should wait for huge price fall at xmas? (less than 2 month)

i mean huge... not little price change... like more than 50cdn different...

<< is not in hurry... but i want one... to rid of crt... >.>;

ps. link to good lcd source? wanna research... >.> <.< >.>
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old October 8, 2008, 08:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTA View Post
just curious... do you think we should wait for huge price fall at xmas? (less than 2 month)

i mean huge... not little price change... like more than 50cdn different...

<< is not in hurry... but i want one... to rid of crt... >.>;
I still use CRT and I honestly would not ever buy LCD - For PC I use a pro series Viewsonic, the high end model you could find back then - and extremely happy - for TV I use a flat screen CRT as well - For the hi-def stuff LCD is great, as long as you stay in its native res - but it is crap for anythng outside its res - despite the scalers used - I'd wait until LCD gets better - most of the kinds you find now use cheap panels - and don't come near as close compared with the color gamut on CRT, so unless you are willing to dish out a lot of money for the higher-end models maybe you should wait - unless you are not fussy - what turns meo ff about LCD is input lag, a single backlight source, poor color gamuts and color rendition - Try playing a next gen game on an LCD' a game that uses HDR - current LCDs cannot do HDR :) I still cannot understand why people like LCD so much - other than its size, I think it sucks on many level next to CRT - I'm waiting for OLED :D
Old October 8, 2008, 08:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

i still use my e70 because my gt775 was blown up...

i believe LCD is improving very much compare to last year...

HDR or OLED...? i will go find out about it...
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old October 9, 2008, 05:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
I still use CRT and I honestly would not ever buy LCD - For PC I use a pro series Viewsonic, the high end model you could find back then - and extremely happy - for TV I use a flat screen CRT as well - For the hi-def stuff LCD is great, as long as you stay in its native res - but it is crap for anythng outside its res - despite the scalers used - I'd wait until LCD gets better - most of the kinds you find now use cheap panels - and don't come near as close compared with the color gamut on CRT, so unless you are willing to dish out a lot of money for the higher-end models maybe you should wait - unless you are not fussy - what turns meo ff about LCD is input lag, a single backlight source, poor color gamuts and color rendition - Try playing a next gen game on an LCD' a game that uses HDR - current LCDs cannot do HDR :) I still cannot understand why people like LCD so much - other than its size, I think it sucks on many level next to CRT - I'm waiting for OLED :D
Yeah sure, I get your point, but the average user doesn't use a pro series CRT nor do they really notice the difference in colours/gradients/backlight etc. All they care about is that the LCD takes up less space on their desk.

Comparing a LCD to a normal CRT monitor they are pretty similar now IMO plus it doesn't hurt some people's eyes like cheap CRTs do.
Old October 9, 2008, 12:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTA View Post
i still use my e70 because my gt775 was blown up...

i believe LCD is improving very much compare to last year...

HDR or OLED...? i will go find out about it...
Actually HDR means High Dynamic Range - it is a feature used on many games now and it has to be supported by your graphics card - However, LCD technology cannot display HDR feature :D
Old October 9, 2008, 12:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Yeah sure, I get your point, but the average user doesn't use a pro series CRT nor do they really notice the difference in colours/gradients/backlight etc. All they care about is that the LCD takes up less space on their desk.

Comparing a LCD to a normal CRT monitor they are pretty similar now IMO plus it doesn't hurt some people's eyes like cheap CRTs do.
Well try to view low lit scenes and play dark games or view dark movies on your LCD - this is where you will come to appreciate your CRT - Remember that LCD cannot display perfect blacks because of its backlight, also causes some problems with fringing and other defects on scenes where there are very light spots against dark backgrounds - LCD companies LIE about their specs and cheat customers by misleading them ! The more expensive kind (that most people can't afford) use many backlights instead of 1 or use different technology - but one of the major drawbacks is the native resolution - with CRT you have freedom to change resolution as you want to - with LCD you are stuck at its native resolution - anything else is garbage - Have you tried viewing your old home movies and memories you archived on DVD on your LCD ? To me QUALITY is more important than space - SED would have competed well against CRT, it's too bad it's dead now - because of LCD - I do hope that advances in OLED will go further and once it does this will be the next major thing - I've actually seen OLED, and once it improves and gets bigger displays it will blow away LCD !
When I go through different LCD specs I laugh - there is still the input lag issue, viewing angles, low color gamut, and cheap, poor quality panels used on most LCDs you find sold now at Future Shop, Best Buy, etc.....
Old October 9, 2008, 12:58 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Pretty much every computer related part will be cheaper in 3 months. For the whether or not it will be cheaper by $50 depends on what size monitor you are looking at.
Old October 9, 2008, 01:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Well try to view low lit scenes and play dark games or view dark movies on your LCD - this is where you will come to appreciate your CRT - Remember that LCD cannot display perfect blacks because of its backlight, also causes some problems with fringing and other defects on scenes where there are very light spots against dark backgrounds - LCD companies LIE about their specs and cheat customers by misleading them ! The more expensive kind (that most people can't afford) use many backlights instead of 1 or use different technology - but one of the major drawbacks is the native resolution - with CRT you have freedom to change resolution as you want to - with LCD you are stuck at its native resolution - anything else is garbage - Have you tried viewing your old home movies and memories you archived on DVD on your LCD ? To me QUALITY is more important than space - SED would have competed well against CRT, it's too bad it's dead now - because of LCD - I do hope that advances in OLED will go further and once it does this will be the next major thing - I've actually seen OLED, and once it improves and gets bigger displays it will blow away LCD !
When I go through different LCD specs I laugh - there is still the input lag issue, viewing angles, low color gamut, and cheap, poor quality panels used on most LCDs you find sold now at Future Shop, Best Buy, etc.....
Yeah I know, but I've become used to it, nor am I super picky. Just like the typical user wouldn't care.

As per videos, my HD4850 does a pretty nice job at making things look decent so it's not that bad.

I've seen Sony's OLED display (the 10" one or whatever) and it has superb colours though I could notice a very distinct flicker to it. Rather annoying and hopefully they can fix that up once they start making usable sizes.
Old October 9, 2008, 03:06 PM
Allstar
F@H

If you are looking for a New LCD wait until Mid-End November around US Thanksgiving it is at this time that retailers are really looking to dump the previous years models and get the new ones on the floor to make some Christmas margin..this transition starts in late August and peters out around the end of November....But if you wait to long the sales will be their but with no stock....pick the TV you want then hunt online for prices......if you are at F#ture5h!* you can actually see how much the Salesmen can knock off by looking in the bottom left corner...there is a bunch of numbers like "008460W006400" the number shown in red (which wont be red in the store) is the spiff the salesmen gets what you can do is bring your info from websites and even though they do not PP online use the leverage to get a cheaper price...and that time of year they are very happy to dump some of the stock...even without a big spiff bonus.

E8600 420x10 |Thermalright 120 Black | Maximus Formula | ATI 4870X2 | 4GB Buffalo FireStiX PC8500 | Corsair HX1000 | Lian Li V2010B | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Q6600 334x9 |Thermaltake Blu Orb | ASUS P5Q-PRO| ATI 2900XT | 6GB Corsair XMS2 PC6400 | Corsair HX520 | Lian Li V600B | Vista Home Premium 64bit

Old October 9, 2008, 07:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

this thread contains lots of good infromation (thanks!)

just a little research... OLED wont be releasing until late 2012 to 2015... (even its invented in early 1980 o_O?)

Quote:
Actually HDR means High Dynamic Range - it is a feature used on many games now and it has to be supported by your graphics card - However, LCD technology cannot display HDR feature :D

only CRT supports this? if then i will look at used newest product... maybe again from viewsonic ;p

but according to some sources... LCD is also supporting this HDR feature...?

btw... so its best time to buy old stocks at after mid-nov?