Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 5, 2008, 07:59 AM
Rookie

Default Help! need help to find the rite motherboard! cos am gerrin a headache lol

hi rite lets kick it off i brought a package of ebay AMD PHENOM 9850 X4 CPU ASUS ATX M3A 2GB RAM BUNDLE PACK on eBay, also With AMD CPU, Motherboard CPU Bundle, item no. 180269651528 which is similar to mine but has the same mobo but i have 4gb of ram instead lol it wos workin fine for about 4 weeks thn jst stopped workin it would turn on ! and sound like it wos bootin (all the bells and whistles) but was not showing any display so i thought g/card brought a new one still the same sent the package and got a replacement board which worked fine for about 2 hours and the same afetr this the company were suggestin power supply etc. at fault so basically replaced all the stuff i had already with newer higher end stuff and got another motherboard which did the same so now i'm stuck with the cpu, ram and knackered board so i thought i would ava chat to some guys in the knw tht u guys as i'm ok with the connected all up but findin something with the rite specs i'm finding difficult ! any help would be greatly appreciated thanks p.s cpu is the amd phenom 9850 black edition 125w!
Old September 5, 2008, 08:45 AM
MVP

Theres some long sentences in there.
My guess, if you've already replaced the power supply with a quality power supply is your MB (M3A) is having a hard time coughing up a 125W. No smells noise or bulgy caps after it died? Have you tried pulling all but one stick of ram? Reseat the RAM? What kind of power supply is in it right now?
Old September 5, 2008, 08:49 AM
MVP
F@H

I don't follow AMD motherboards so I can't help you there.

Just to clarify, did you get a replacement power supply? Did you replace the graphics card? I think you say you did but I'm not sure.

Use the enter button occasionally and put in more punctuation with capitals at the begginings of your sentences so it is easier for us to understand what you are saying and asking (you will get more responses, trust me). Net speak is cute in short bursts or on a picture with some cute cats LoL, but it really gets in the way of clear communication when asking for technical assistance. Don't mean to bust your nuts but sit back and read what you wrote, it hurts my brain! I have some bad spelling and my grammer is not always great but it is usually clear as to what I am saying.

Now maybe someone with AMD knowledge can help our new friend from across the pond as I have always been an Intel kinda guy.
Old September 5, 2008, 03:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Iíve reworded the original post to make it clearer (see below).
First suggestion is what are the full specs (everything) of your current setup (as a list).
How were the components installed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by storey79 View Post
Problems with AMD PHENOM 9850 X4 (black edition(, ASUS ATX M3A, 4GB RAM.

It was working fine for about 4 weeks then it would not post to the display.

Tried a new GPU and replacement board which worked fine for about 2 hours only.

The company suggested the power supply was at fault so this was replaced with newer higher end stuff and another motherboard which resulted in the same issues.

Any ideas??
Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old September 6, 2008, 12:03 PM
Rookie

ye thats basically it i went with a 1000w thermaltake psu and a nvidea graphics card yes ive tried all the usual ram tricks and bios tricks tested all the stuff in other pc's i suspect that i have found the problem, while lookin on the site for asus the m3a can only handle 95w cpu's so thts the m3a scrapped lol so need any suggestions u guys may have for a better board that will be more suitable thanks guys and girls
Old September 6, 2008, 12:06 PM
Rookie

spec as follows

cpu : am2+ amd phenom 9850 black edition (125w) with standard cooler
mobo: asus m3a green edition 770 chipset sb600
ram : 2gb X2 sticks ddr2 800mhz
psu : thermaltake 1000w
hdd: 2 x samsung sata II (250gb)
Old September 6, 2008, 07:56 PM
MVP

Not sure what you have for a video card, if its nvidia you may want a nvidia chipset for SLI. If its ATI you may want an AMD chipset. Theres quite a good review of a similar CPU, a 9750 on hardwarecanucks, page 5 is your motherboard options.

AMD Phenom X4 9750 Quad Core CPU Review

The reviewer AkG killed a board as well, and hes got some good suggestions on boards.