Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2008, 11:04 PM
Allstar

Default TIM Selection

A friend just dropped a project in my lap. He wants to put an aftermarket cooler on his NB and CPU. Getting the old heatsinks off shouldn't be a problem but when he dropped off the parts he left me a tube of TIM in case I didn't have any. Now I have AC's MX-2 here that I use for my stuff, but he left a tube of Arctic Silver's Ceramique which I have never used. My question is which is the better MX-2 or Ceramique? And would one be better for the chipset and the other for the CPU? All input appreciated.
Old August 20, 2008, 11:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
A friend just dropped a project in my lap. He wants to put an aftermarket cooler on his NB and CPU. Getting the old heatsinks off shouldn't be a problem but when he dropped off the parts he left me a tube of TIM in case I didn't have any. Now I have AC's MX-2 here that I use for my stuff, but he left a tube of Arctic Silver's Ceramique which I have never used. My question is which is the better MX-2 or Ceramique? And would one be better for the chipset and the other for the CPU? All input appreciated.
mx-2 is MUCH better.

But his stuff isn't bad.
Old August 20, 2008, 11:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Ceramique is good, but messy. MX-2 is all around the best TIM out there. Use it. (unless you want to keep it for yourself....)

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old August 22, 2008, 02:40 PM
Allstar

I'm using MX-2 with his permission. The Ceramique apparently sets up quite glue like after a couple of heating cooling cycles and can be difficult to remove if needs be. As I expect if this has to come off I'll be doing it so I'd rather not make more work than is necessary