Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2008, 07:52 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Default Gigabyte GA-EP45T-Extreme Motherboard Review Comment Thread

Here it is boys and girl, I am sure there is one here somewhere, the Gigabyte GA-EP45T-Extreme! One of the most feature rich motherboards available right now and a very solid performer. Unfortunately it is also a P45 based motherboard so it comes with its flaws.

Read all about the good, the bad, and the ugly...the ugly referring to the pink & green memory slots

Feel free to post any questions/comments/concerns about the board, the review, or my lack of personal hygiene here and I will do my best to assist in addressing them.
Old August 20, 2008, 08:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

interesting... i dont know that it has some bad problems... i think its not bad deal for water cooling set... but i prefer air cooling to avoid lots of problem... eeks...

just curious why not show the result with other competitive [same-class] mobo?
NEW: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
OLD: cm 690, hx620, intel q9450, True Black, ga-ep45-ud3p, 2gbx2 ram of mushkin xp2 8500, xfx 285. wd caviar se16 640gb, 4x zm-f3 fans.
Old August 20, 2008, 08:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know about you but I love copper heat sinks. Man I love the looks of that board. Now if only you had a copper CPU heat sink and GPU heat sink and it would look sweet.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old August 20, 2008, 11:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Not bad not bad, but I am still a DFI guy through and through.....

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old August 21, 2008, 05:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

After reading the review, Gigabyte could have tried a bit harder on this one. Solid vdroop, but the board is really ugly and all the SATA ports could have been rotated instead of just 2. I'll keep my fave P45 motherboard on the P5Q series.
Old August 21, 2008, 05:09 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Actually, I am in the same boat as Jody. When these intricate heatpipe solutions are NEEDED, then I will welcome them but the P45 is one of the coolest running chipsets to date and on this board it is coupled with a heatsink what doesn't conduct heat in the way it was meant to.
Old August 21, 2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTA View Post
interesting... i dont know that it has some bad problems... i think its not bad deal for water cooling set... but i prefer air cooling to avoid lots of problem... eeks...

just curious why not show the result with other competitive [same-class] mobo?
the water cooling would be fine, overkill but fine, it is just that the watercooling doesn't even cool anything. the cooling fins between the base where the chipset is contacted and the actual waterblock receives none of the heat because cooling fins don't transfer heat, they dissipate it. it is a ridiculously well built setup but the major design flaw negates everything good about it. with that said, Gigabyte might have already corrected their flaws it seems with their new X58 board...

GIGABYTE shows us its X58 Extreme mobo in Taipei :: TweakTown

it doesn't appear to have between the real base and the chipset...just that huge chunk of copper and the block directly on the chipset. it is kind of hard to tell from the pictures and the one photo almost looks like fins but it also looks like it could simply be a solid chunk of copper. if Gigabyte could have made that happen with this board, all my complaints would be 100% rescinded.

**edit** ah man, i just zoomed in on the one photo and sure enough, fins in-between the chipset and the base of the waterblock/hydra cool mount. sorry guys but that just continues not to make sense. **end edit**

as for the comparison to other motherboards question, that is a decision we made when we designed our motherboard layout. showing the difference between different boards with the same chipset showing 1-3% difference in performance and saying one is better than the other based on the results seems like a futile exercise in our opinions. instead, it allows us to focus more on the features and come up with interesting benchmark comparisons between "stock" and overclocked like we did in this review. it really was interesting to see what simply adding the XMP memory could do for the average user who wouldn't even know how to overclock if they wanted. it really was startling how much performance is gained on P45 with high end memory versus what a generic kit might run at.

Last edited by 3oh6; August 21, 2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old August 21, 2008, 02:29 PM

I think "the EP45T-Extreme has a drawback for almost everything it does positively in the overclocking section" sums things up quite well for my uses. Lucky for giga fancy looking stuff with loads of features probably sells better than a top clocker. Giga sure likes their heatpipes eh, lol.

Great review.
Old August 21, 2008, 02:42 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Pink ram slots.... I'll leave it at that.
Old August 21, 2008, 03:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
I don't know about you but I love copper heat sinks. Man I love the looks of that board. Now if only you had a copper CPU heat sink and GPU heat sink and it would look sweet.
You mean like this?

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ransplant.html