Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 16, 2008, 12:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default E8400 VS Q6600.... cant make up my mind

I have no clue which one to choose.
I love the idea of 4 cores, but the 8400 is one hell of a chip...

Can some of you advise as to which one would better suit my needs?
Specs can be found in my sig, which chip will provide me with "future protection" as well as leverage its abilities more in current games, like crysis?

Thanks in advance,

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old August 16, 2008, 01:48 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I vote for the quad core.

As more and more apps and games leverage more than 2 cores you will be gaining free horsepower. My q6600 is clocked and stable at 3690mhz.
Old August 16, 2008, 02:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlef View Post
I have no clue which one to choose.
I love the idea of 4 cores, but the 8400 is one hell of a chip...

Can some of you advise as to which one would better suit my needs?
Specs can be found in my sig, which chip will provide me with "future protection" as well as leverage its abilities more in current games, like crysis?

Thanks in advance,
There is no future protection. Any chip you buy today will be outdated in 6 months anyways.

e8400 for gaming and everyday use.
8400 is faster than the quad in most things.
Old August 16, 2008, 03:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

^^ Agreed, also there aren't many application/games that use all 4 cores, most of them still use 2. If your looking to Overclock than the E8400 reaches 4.0GHz with very little tweaking. Quad will only help you unless you do heavy video encoding, the extra 2 cores does help you, and as I mentioned only apps/games that use all 4 cores.
Old August 16, 2008, 03:55 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

not so Miggs. quad cores are faster in just about everything but most games. Valve games are quicker though. Age of Conan is a good example of the new titles using more than 2 cores, it absolutely rips on a 4 core, 33% faster. The UT3 engine that powers most games these days is starting to leverage more than 2 cores. Office apps, 3d rendering, compiling, music and video editing, the Adobe suite and more all benefit from 4 cores.

We have hit a wall with raw speed and everyone agrees that parallelism is the way to go to keep Moore's law going.

So if you want the fastest game machine today, get the E8400. You want to future proof yourself, get a quad core.
Old August 16, 2008, 04:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
not so Miggs. quad cores are faster in just about everything but most games. Valve games are quicker though. Age of Conan is a good example of the new titles using more than 2 cores, it absolutely rips on a 4 core, 33% faster. The UT3 engine that powers most games these days is starting to leverage more than 2 cores. Office apps, 3d rendering, compiling, music and video editing, the Adobe suite and more all benefit from 4 cores.

We have hit a wall with raw speed and everyone agrees that parallelism is the way to go to keep Moore's law going.

So if you want the fastest game machine today, get the E8400. You want to future proof yourself, get a quad core.
You are absolutely wrong.

Even in Crysis its been proven that the FPS difference between a quad and a dual is like 3-5fps which is squat.

AoC takes VERY little advantage of multiple cores as it barely even takes advantage of a dual core.

Also there is no future proof in computers and people really need to get that thought out of their head. What works today will not be what works in a year or two years.
Old August 16, 2008, 04:33 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

OP, flip a coin. You'll be happy with both. I know, I had them at the same time. Just make sure you have a good HSF for the Quad.
Old August 16, 2008, 05:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

^^ Very True. Not saying Quad is a waste of money, just go with what budget permits, flip a coin whichever comes.
Old August 16, 2008, 05:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
^^ Very True. Not saying Quad is a waste of money, just go with what budget permits, flip a coin whichever comes.
$170 vs $260 .. hmm dunno.

Why pay extra for so little.
Old August 16, 2008, 05:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

And how is it $260.. A Q6600 current pricing is around $200 and the E8400 is just $30 cheaper. I dunno where your getting those over the roof prices.