Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old August 16, 2008, 06:34 PM
Dashock's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,952
Default

I made my decision based on the fact i want to upgrade to Nehalem in the future and right now E8400 is more energy efficient and its 45nm. Ill get a true Quad core with Nehalem in 2 years when prices come decent and all the bugs are fixed.
I agree with Enaberif and for a lot of the members in this forum, i dont think we ever buy parts thinking its future proof. Im sure we all know 6 months down the line our parts become obsolete.

So back to the OP pick the processor based one what it can do for you if you want to save electricity and still have a fast computer then the Dual core would be a good choice. As many have mentioned you can easily overclock it, As electricity is getting more expensive this would be awesome if you dont care about electricity and do a lot of multitasking then go with the Quad.

Im getting my E3110 on tuesday im gonna dish out everything i possibly can on it at once and seei f it keeps up as my current Amd X2 4200 didnt make the cut for me on stock clock of 2.2ghz
__________________
Intel Xeon E3110 @ 3.0ghz-Then
Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.8ghz-Now
PNY GTX 1050Ti (Coming)
Asus P5Q-E
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 8gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
Corsair Cx600M
Samsung 850 Evo 250gb SSD
Noctua NfP-12's on Swiftech 320 rad
Logitech Z-625 setup
Sony X800E 43" 4K HDTV



Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.


Last edited by Dashock; August 16, 2008 at 06:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old August 16, 2008, 06:44 PM
mattlef's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,987

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashock View Post
I made my decision based on the fact i want to upgrade to Nehalem in the future and right now E8400 is more energy efficient and its 45nm. Ill get a true Quad core with Nehalem in 2 years when prices come decent and all the bugs are fixed.
I agree with Enaberif and for a lot of the members in this forum, i dont think we ever buy parts thinking its future proof. Im sure we all know 6 months down the line our parts become obsolete.

So back to the OP pick the processor based one what it can do for you if you want to save electricity and still have a fast computer then the Dual core would be a good choice. As many have mentioned you can easily overclock it, As electricity is getting more expensive this would be awesome if you dont care about electricity and do a lot of multitasking then go with the Quad.

Im getting my E3110 on tuesday im gonna dish out everything i possibly can on it at once and seei f it keeps up as my current Amd X2 4200 didnt make the cut for me on stock clock of 2.2ghz

The Majority of you have made quite a few good points, but this one has sold me on the E8400. the i7 will more then likely be the next step for me, so I might as well go with something that will be gangbusters now, rather get an okay quadcore to wait for later. I dont see much of a problem with upgrading in a year... I just cant stand my E4500 anymore lol
__________________
CC-HotSpot Host

YouTube Instagram Twitter
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old August 16, 2008, 06:52 PM
Dashock's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,952
Default

Amen brother Mattlef but like i said i based my choice based on wanting to upgrade to Nehalem when the prices came down the Op might not have the same plan or might.


haha snap i just realized you are the OP and im glad to be of service lol good choice mate. And you started with almost the same processor as me as mine was an Amd but running at 2.2ghz i could only manage to get it to 2.65 stable yer lucky to get it to 3.0ghz so i understand why you find it slow.
__________________
Intel Xeon E3110 @ 3.0ghz-Then
Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.8ghz-Now
PNY GTX 1050Ti (Coming)
Asus P5Q-E
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 8gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
Corsair Cx600M
Samsung 850 Evo 250gb SSD
Noctua NfP-12's on Swiftech 320 rad
Logitech Z-625 setup
Sony X800E 43" 4K HDTV



Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old August 16, 2008, 06:53 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlef View Post
The Majority of you have made quite a few good points, but this one has sold me on the E8400. the i7 will more then likely be the next step for me, so I might as well go with something that will be gangbusters now, rather get an okay quadcore to wait for later. I dont see much of a problem with upgrading in a year... I just cant stand my E4500 anymore lol


= Squeetard
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old August 16, 2008, 06:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 3,342
Default

Glad you made the right decision matt, you gonna love that E8400. Its one hell of a chip, and getting to overclock isn't all that hard either.
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old August 16, 2008, 06:58 PM
Dashock's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,952
Default

just out curiosity Mattlef which DDR2 8000 kit did you get as igot the Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 kit price matched it with the 30 dollar rebate.
__________________
Intel Xeon E3110 @ 3.0ghz-Then
Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.8ghz-Now
PNY GTX 1050Ti (Coming)
Asus P5Q-E
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 8gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
Corsair Cx600M
Samsung 850 Evo 250gb SSD
Noctua NfP-12's on Swiftech 320 rad
Logitech Z-625 setup
Sony X800E 43" 4K HDTV



Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old August 16, 2008, 07:15 PM
MpG's Avatar
MpG MpG is offline
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kitchener, ON
Posts: 3,143
Default

This is after the fact, and not to beat a dead horse, but... were you advocating dual or quad-cores for AoC? Because according the review-
Quote:
Originally Posted by that AoC Review
You can get away with upgrading to a fast dual-core processor because the game doesn't seem to take advantage of quad-core processors at all. Clock speed is far more important than having an extra two cores in the game. If you have the means to overclock your CPU, we highly recommend doing so for Age of Conan.
Furthermore, the E8400 at 3GHz tied the QX9650 at 3GHz. Not exactly a banner moment for quad-cores.
__________________
i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 580GTX | Corsair DDR3-2133
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old August 17, 2008, 12:36 AM
zlojack's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,057

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Yes, I know what you mean, you like to bend the facts to suit your point iof view.

Check out these age of Conan benchmarks that shoot down your other statement.

Age of Conan Hardware Performance Guide - Features at GameSpot
That article actually shoots down your argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSpot
You can get away with upgrading to a fast dual-core processor because the game doesn't seem to take advantage of quad-core processors at all. Clock speed is far more important than having an extra two cores in the game. If you have the means to overclock your CPU, we highly recommend doing so for Age of Conan.
The E8400 scores the highest on their CPU chart.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes