Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 11, 2008, 11:45 AM
MVP

Default VIA to Quit MB Chipset Business

VIA is now focusing on x86 processors and the integrated motherboard market, rather than chipsets for third-party CPUs.

Previously one of the best chipset makers for enthusiasts looking for high performance on a budget, VIA has told Custom PC that it now sees no future in making chipsets for third parties such as Intel and AMD.

VIA quits motherboard chipset business | News | Custom PC
Old August 11, 2008, 12:17 PM
Rookie

i've been waiting for this to happen.
can't believe they lasted this long.
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.0Ghz | OCZ Vendetta II | Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H 790GX/SB750 | 2x2gig Musking Redlines 5-5-5-18-24 T2 | XFX 8800GT XT 512MB @ 702/1023 | WD Raptor 36,74gig | OCZ GameXtreme 850w | Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 | Samsung Syncmaster 2443BW | Logitec x530 5.1 | Windows 7 Home Pre.64-bit

Old August 11, 2008, 12:58 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntdwnToExtn View Post
Unlike your pessimistic view, I find the news encouraging. It cost other companies more money to get their chipsets from VIA in the past, so they are now developing their own chipsets for the most part. This means that either way VIA was going to loose some business if they continued to make chipsets from those companies. With this news however, it's clear that they're committed to pushing the envelope in the low-power consumption/small form factor processor area as well as create new technologies. Who knows... imagine what a dual or quad core Via Nano could do.... at a quarter the power use of a competing quad processor - sounds like good teams ahead to me. I'll definitely buy into VIA if they do anything of the sort.
Old August 11, 2008, 05:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntdwnToExtn View Post
Well I gather you don'T like VIA chipsets - To be fair, yes VIA chipsets have had a bad reputation over the years due to its crippled PCI bus and the many problems people had with slow disk transfers and crackling - however, I've ALWAYS used VIA chipsets sine the KT133 and never had ANY issues, my system was rock solid. The chipset KT133/A was decent, of course there was still a problem with PCI bandwidth but you could get around it. the KT266 and above were bad from what I recall. My recent motherboard was using the K8T890 chipset and it ran rock solid, and didn't notice ANY of the bandwidth issues whatsoever, no crackling no nothing - there was more complaints over NVIDIA chipsets exploding, failing, screwing up, etc than VIA at the time - given NVIDIA's failure rate and reputation with its chipsets I would have gladly gone VIA over nForce at the time - if only VIA had admitted and done something about the sustained PCI bandwidth issue, it would have done better. Now with VIA gone, and NVIDIA possibly leaving (rumor), guess we'll be stuck with AMD chipsets :D :D :D