Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   Just chucked a Pentium D 805 in my rig and holy crap does this thing suck (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/910-just-chucked-pentium-d-805-my-rig-holy-crap-does-thing-suck.html)

Misoprostol April 14, 2007 10:20 PM

Just chucked a Pentium D 805 in my rig and holy crap does this thing suck

Well I took my Q6600 out of my rig in order to use it for some water block testing on my test bench, and I wanted to be able to use my gaming rig in the meantime because the test bench A) has no programs, and B) uses a 6200TC.

So I overclocked it to 4.0GHz, put a Swiftech STORM on it because I'm not testing that block yet, and I'm blown away by what a noticeable difference it makes, even in a game like Prey that have no multi-threading awareness...

Everything is choppier and the game has gone from easily playable, to choppy and unplayable with just a CPU downgrade. I didn't realize CPU made this much difference. I'm afraid to even TRY Supreme Commander.

Beermaster April 14, 2007 10:57 PM

wow i didnt think it would be that bad, hm learn somthing new everyday

Shadowed April 14, 2007 11:01 PM

That is interesting to hear there would be such a huge difference. What speed is the cpu running at ?

My thoughts have been that most cpus these days will work for gaming, you just need a decent video card.
I have not had much experience with the Pentium Ds although they apparently oc like crazy if you have the cooling for them.

I guess after running a Q6600, it would make a lot of cpus seem slow :)

Edit: I just saw your video card. Its probably sucking the life out of that poor little D805.

werty316 April 15, 2007 12:49 AM

Once you use newer tech/highend parts it hard to use anything slower that causes a huge bottleneck huh?

Patriote April 15, 2007 10:06 AM

Well, im not surprised! What vidcard are you using with that D 805 ? Im almost sure that it's being bottlenecked by that poor CPU!

sswilson April 15, 2007 10:11 AM

The 800 series were all dual core weren't they? (Never could get my mind set on the intel naming system....).

Is it possible that the games are optimised on install for the processing power of your hardware?

Seems strange that you'd see that big of a difference after clocking that D chip so high.

Shadowed April 15, 2007 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 6267)
The 800 series were all dual core weren't they? (Never could get my mind set on the intel naming system....).

Is it possible that the games are optimised on install for the processing power of your hardware?

Seems strange that you'd see that big of a difference after clocking that D chip so high.

I thought that was the Q6600 oc'ed to 4ghz. Ok disregaurd most of my last comment :doh:

SKYMTL April 15, 2007 10:51 AM

Personally, I think at 4.0Ghz you are above what your PSU will allow. As far as I recall, the 805 takes something like 135W STOCK. Overclocking A Pentium D from 2.8 to 4.0 increases the power usage to ridiculous proportions which may be bumping into the OCP of your PSU which is set at 18A (216W). I have found that once you reach the OCP limit of some FSP-based PSUs, the performance decreases instead of the PSU shutting off.

This is just an idea, but switching to an PSU with a large single rail is recommended when overclocking Pentium D processors.

Misoprostol April 16, 2007 08:59 AM

Interesting thought, SKY...

I guess my biggest problem is finding a good quality single rail power supply that isn't noisy. I really like, and often use the Silverstone Zeus units, but they're just too darn loud for day-to-day use imo. They will run at full tilt blasting out cold air all day, rather than throttling the fan... :(

I really wouldn't have thought that I'd be running into the OVP though simply because I haven't overvolted by that much. Maybe I'll play around with settings again. It's not so much that the system slowed down as that it runs at a smooth framerate, then stutters. There's more stuttering in scenes with lots of graphical detail and with more *stuff* around. Sound like PSU?

SKYMTL April 16, 2007 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misoprostol (Post 6338)
There's more stuttering in scenes with lots of graphical detail and with more *stuff* around. Sound like PSU?

Sounds like what happened with the Enermax PSU in my 500W PSU roundup. It could still be your processor but I would check your PSU anyways.

Don't forget, in order for the maximum amount of power on the +12V rails on a GameXstream you have to have a minimal amount of load on the +3.3 and +5V rails. That shouldn't be much of a problem for you but it is another thing to consider.

As for a single rail PSU, you might want to look at the new Silverstone Olympia 650W or 750W.