Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 28, 2008, 08:21 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default ASUS P5Q PRO Review Comment Thread

Guys, please join with me in welcoming MAC, our News Editor to the ranks of hardware reviewers on this site.

In this his first review, he takes a close look at one of the most popular motherboards on the market right now: the ASUS P5Q PRO.

You can find the review here: ASUS P5Q PRO P45 Motherboard Review

He will be using this thread to post up some of his forthcoming E8500 results so stay tuned.

We invite you to participate by adding your comments, suggestions and your own experiences with this great product.

Old July 28, 2008, 08:40 PM
Associate Review Editor

Thanks!

Hope you all enjoy it ....I know I did
Old July 28, 2008, 08:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

When will motherboard manufacturers realize that SATA layout is absolutely retarded?

The boards that have them 90', double stacked, and on the edge is the best way to do it!

Its one reason I love my IP35-Pro and that it also works PROPERLY with locking SATA ends.
Old July 28, 2008, 09:04 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Would 90* SATA connectors clear the 3870 fan housing? Or would they be oriented the wrong way?

Great first review.
Old July 28, 2008, 09:13 PM
Allstar

Nice one MAC

I recently purchased this mobo with a E8500 and a HD 4870 and was impressed with the quality. I haven't overclocked yet but will get to it soon enough.

The bios saving via USB feature could allow some winner bios settings to be made available to forum members ... just a thought

It would also be interesting to cover the new energy savings features in relation to overclocking. For example, is one better off installing the software or not ?
Old July 28, 2008, 09:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Would 90* SATA connectors clear the 3870 fan housing? Or would they be oriented the wrong way?

Great first review.
Yea I had the same question, I was thinking you could use it, but the sata slot right beside it might get blocked because of the 90* cable..

I do agree its a great review.
Old July 28, 2008, 09:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Nice review MAC, I have the P5Q-E motherboard and its a great motherboard. Had the Asus P5K before that and that's why I stuck with the P35 and P45 chipset. Great OCing and stable.

Now for the lay out of the SATA on the P5Q-E it is done on the edge stacked, as well as some that are not. I have no issues with them not being stack.
Old July 28, 2008, 09:39 PM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
If they were put in the same location, then probably not. The answer really is to move the SATA ports closer to the edge of the motherboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamawho View Post
It would also be interesting to cover the new energy savings features in relation to overclocking. For example, is one better off installing the software or not ?
Actually, the EPU feature won't work if you are overclocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yycraven View Post
Nice review MAC, I have the P5Q-E motherboard and its a great motherboard. Had the Asus P5K before that and that's why I stuck with the P35 and P45 chipset. Great OCing and stable.
I don't know if you saw the voltage regulation section, but I would advise that you also change your PLL and VTT/FSB voltages to their second lowest settings, since it appears that the entire P5Q series overvolts.
Old July 28, 2008, 10:46 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

So MAC I should not leave the PLL and VTT/FSB @ Auto.
PLL is at 1.25 and the VTT/FSB is at 1.50 I think, hmm can not remember. I better go look
Old July 28, 2008, 10:48 PM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yycraven View Post
So MAC I should not leave the PLL and VTT/FSB @ Auto.
PLL is at 1.25 and the VTT/FSB is at 1.50 I think, hmm can not remember. I better go look
For PLL, 1.24V & above seems ok.
For VTT/FSB, 1.54V & above seems ok.