Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   Just Curious (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/8794-just-curious.html)

blogz101 July 24, 2008 01:37 PM

Just Curious

Is OCZ RAMS good?

Does the Asus Rampage Formula support/compatible with OCZ?

Is the RAM:4GB OCZ DDR II 1150MHZ PC2-9200 FLEX XLC LIQUID CONVECTION RAM
compatible with the Asus Rampage Formula?

links
LU Computer

JD July 24, 2008 01:48 PM

Yeah OCZ is alright though most people on here are going to recommend Muskin.

Unless your pulling some extreme overclocks, you don't need PC2-9200 RAM.

You could post here: OCZ Forum - Powered by vBulletin if you want to be 100% sure it'll work. I don't see why it wouldn't though.

-n7- July 24, 2008 06:01 PM

That's some extremely nice RAM.

Drawbacks of it would be:
- fat & tall heatspreaders (cannot do 8 GB, issues with clearance in some situations)
- price

I'd also say don't buy that if you don't intend to heavily overclock & tweak things in the bios.

That kinda RAM isn't meant for a basic user; be prepared to mess around to get its rated speed or better set up stably.

If those issues aren't scaring you off, go for it.
I wouldn't buy it due to the heatspreaders & price, but otherwise it's my kinda kit :)

calvary1980 July 24, 2008 06:19 PM

you should shop at NCIX they are only $68 AR even without the Rebate they are cheaper. and you shouldn't have problems installing 4 of them but no promises.

- Christine

Tazer-[X] July 24, 2008 10:19 PM

Well, a brand name is all that it is. Its hype, I bet, in a little while, that will change on whats 'kewl'. Just like a PSU, its a matter of who screams the loudest and how many follow him and say, yea, I beleive him coz hes 'kewl'. Honestly, Kingston will do just fine. Especially The HyperX. And apparently, DDR3 HyperX is gonna be FAST with a <H1> F

calvary1980 July 24, 2008 10:36 PM

Corsair is good because there units use high quality components and are inexpensive the 450VX for example has a Hitachi Primary that should be in a Power Supply twice it's price range, there Power Supplies are manufactured by the 2 best companies Seasonic and Channel Well Technology. it has nothing to do with Trend.

- Christine

JD July 25, 2008 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazer-[X] (Post 72234)
Well, a brand name is all that it is. Its hype, I bet, in a little while, that will change on whats 'kewl'. Just like a PSU, its a matter of who screams the loudest and how many follow him and say, yea, I beleive him coz hes 'kewl'. Honestly, Kingston will do just fine. Especially The HyperX. And apparently, DDR3 HyperX is gonna be FAST with a <H1> F

AFAIK Kingston isn't all that popular amongst enthusiasts for whatever reason. Usually HyperX is overpriced too since it's not stocked as much as OCZ/Corsair/Mushkin.

There obviously must be a reason to it though other than pure hype. Crucial has used to be all the hype but they've had some issues as of late.

Eldonko July 25, 2008 12:24 PM

I disagree, brand name is very important for memory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tazer-[X] (Post 72234)
Well, a brand name is all that it is. Its hype, I bet, in a little while, that will change on whats 'kewl'.

DK2 July 25, 2008 12:34 PM

Heat spreaders fell off my DDR2 Gold's, so now they just kind of hang there by the clips.
They still work though, and I never had a problem with them.
The whole thing is going into a new case soon anyways so maybe I'll fix it then, or just rip them off, f'it. :biggrin:

Mibs July 25, 2008 12:46 PM

OCZ is a decent brand. I've had this kit for over a year, and a lot of others I've seen have it too. Like somebody else said, Mushkin seems to be pretty popular around here lately. I almost bough myself a kit of Ascents earlier.