Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 19, 2008, 10:59 PM
Top Prospect

Default XEON 3070 good for gaming?

Hi guys, I have a question for you guys. i have a buddy of mine who has a Inte XEON 3070 clocked at 2.66GHZ, and he is willing to sell it to me for cheap with the Mobo, A ASUS P5M2-m. So first of all, That mobo won't support my 9800GTX right?
So would getting a new MOBO that supports that CPU give me a performnce boost in Gaming applications?
I know these are Noobie Questions, But what are the differences between server CPU's and Regular C2D's? Would My C2D E6400 OC'd to 3.1Ghz Be on Par performance wise with the XEON or is going to be slower?
And how do the XEON's Overclock, Providing my Zalman CNPS 9500 fits on that XEON? Will my Aftermarket cooler fit on this CPU??
I read somewhere that XEON's Are just the same as a Conroe? Is that a Accurate statement or no?
I need to know if it will be worth the trouble of getting a new MOBO and making the switch for many Gaming Apps? But if i get all this done and swithed out, what other Performance Gains will I see, Burning, editing ETC...
Would i be able to Overclock the XEON CPU very high, what are Avg Overclocks for these CPU's.
On Newegg they are going for around 350-400 bucks, so what else are they Good for besides acting as a serer??
thanx as always guys for you help.
Links to articles would also help.
System spec: Intel i7 2600k, Gigabyte GTX 570 Super Overclock, Kingston DDR3 2X4 GB sticks, ASUS P8P67 PRO, Cooler Master 700 watt PSU, 750GB*2 Sata,SATA III 1TB HDD Acer 24 Widescreen, Antec 300, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Old July 20, 2008, 12:14 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't buy it. A Q6600 is slightly slower (2.4GHz) yet has 8MB L2 cache. That Xeon only has 4MB.

Xeons for the most part have "consumer" counterparts though some Xeons are LGA771 which don't fit in consumer motherboards. They don't really offer any benefit to a home user other than being tested more thoroughly and sometimes they do overclock better or have higher heat thresholds.

I think you'd be better off getting a motherboard + Q6600 if you're looking at upgrading to a quad.
Old July 20, 2008, 01:38 AM
Top Prospect

Well I wouldn't be buying it at full price. I am getting the XEON 3070, Four 1GB sticks of Crucial DDR2 667 Ram a PSU and ASUS MOBO for 450 Bucks Canadian. I think that is a good deal.
Does anyone know if my Sig Rig MOBO (ASUS P5B Vanilla) would support the XEON CPU?? I would use the ASUS MOBO that he is selling with the Deal but there is no PCI-E Slot for my 9800GTX:(
I am just wondering if it is even worth all the Trouble, I am really only after Gamoing Performance at this point. So unless it will help me Get More FPS in my Games at stock Clocks, Then I will need to Overclock it, Then Will my Zalman CNPS 9500 Fit on the XEON?
Anyone know how well the EXON 3070 Overclocks?
As it is, My E6400 Can't go any higher than 3.2Ghz, The temps get in to the Low 60C's at 3.2Ghz at full Load. But at 3.1Ghz were it is now, It is Stable as a Rock and the temps never go above 55C!
So maybe the XEON will Overclock to 4Ghz :), I am sure the Extra Speed will help in my Games?
System spec: Intel i7 2600k, Gigabyte GTX 570 Super Overclock, Kingston DDR3 2X4 GB sticks, ASUS P8P67 PRO, Cooler Master 700 watt PSU, 750GB*2 Sata,SATA III 1TB HDD Acer 24 Widescreen, Antec 300, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Old July 20, 2008, 02:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwickbill View Post
Well I wouldn't be buying it at full price. I am getting the XEON 3070, Four 1GB sticks of Crucial DDR2 667 Ram a PSU and ASUS MOBO for 450 Bucks Canadian. I think that is a good deal.
Does anyone know if my Sig Rig MOBO (ASUS P5B Vanilla) would support the XEON CPU?? I would use the ASUS MOBO that he is selling with the Deal but there is no PCI-E Slot for my 9800GTX:(
I am just wondering if it is even worth all the Trouble, I am really only after Gamoing Performance at this point. So unless it will help me Get More FPS in my Games at stock Clocks, Then I will need to Overclock it, Then Will my Zalman CNPS 9500 Fit on the XEON?
Anyone know how well the EXON 3070 Overclocks?
As it is, My E6400 Can't go any higher than 3.2Ghz, The temps get in to the Low 60C's at 3.2Ghz at full Load. But at 3.1Ghz were it is now, It is Stable as a Rock and the temps never go above 55C!
So maybe the XEON will Overclock to 4Ghz :), I am sure the Extra Speed will help in my Games?
Yes, the Xeon will work in your mobo. The Xeon is the exact same CPU as an E6700. At stock clocks(2.66), it won't be any better for gaming than your O/Ced E6400. If you overclock it, you might get up to ~3.4GHz(P5B Vanilla isn't a superb O/Cer), and the Xeon is B2 stepping(not a good O/Cer compared to G0 stepping).. which might get you some FPS in games, as your 9800GTX is quite likely CPU bound right now. If the mobo he was selling you had a PCIe slot, you could sell it with the E6400 in it to recoup some of the cash... but it has an XGI Z7 onboard-graphics chip..not very good. So, for $450..you'd be better to buy a new Q6600, and save $200+, or an E8400 and save close to $250.. and O/C it to near 4GHz. GL
Old July 20, 2008, 09:12 AM
Top Prospect

I forgot a few last items that he was throwing in because he is a friend, Four 750GB Hard drives!!,Four 1 GB of DDR2 Crucial Ram, a Sparkle 550 Watt PSU, and a LG Drive.
I am getting basically a working Server, I would like to sell the Mobo with my E6400 in it along with the Four GB of Crucial Ram, My PSU, the LG Drive as well.
You think I can at lest break even in money and come out ahead with a hopefully Faster CPU a slightly stronger PSU and a decent Case that has way more room in it than what I am in right now!
BTW, I managed to chisel him down to 350 Canadian, So I think it is a good investment!
Thanx for the help people:)
Old July 20, 2008, 09:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwickbill View Post
I forgot a few last items that he was throwing in because he is a friend, Four 750GB Hard drives!!,Four 1 GB of DDR2 Crucial Ram, a Sparkle 550 Watt PSU, and a LG Drive.
I am getting basically a working Server, I would like to sell the Mobo with my E6400 in it along with the Four GB of Crucial Ram, My PSU, the LG Drive as well.
You think I can at lest break even in money and come out ahead with a hopefully Faster CPU a slightly stronger PSU and a decent Case that has way more room in it than what I am in right now!
BTW, I managed to chisel him down to 350 Canadian, So I think it is a good investment!
Thanx for the help people:)
Hey...the HDD's are almost worth that alone. Now it went from a so-so deal to a great deal. I don't know what you'd get for selling the E6400/server board. It would only be good for someone who wants a basic e-mail/Word processing PC(due to the onboard graphics). Nobody would buy it as a server with an E6400 in it. GL