Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   AMD: Want the good news or the bad news first? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/8668-amd-want-good-news-bad-news-first.html)

Cheator July 18, 2008 10:09 AM

AMD: Want the good news or the bad news first?

PC Pro: News: AMD loses $1.2 billion and its CEO

Bad news: 1.2 billion lost
Good news: Hector is OUT!

PARTAY TIIIME!

:clap: :punk: :clap: :punk: :clap:
:bananafunky: :bananafunky: :bananafunky: :bananafunky: :bananafunky: :bananafunky: :bananafunky:

Spaceman-Spiff July 18, 2008 10:13 AM

LOL @ the good news. About time.

I hope AMD won't go out of the business. No competition will be bad for us, consumers,...

I do wonder if AMD is making enough money this quarter from the 4000 series. They're very popular and good performers. However, AMD priced them quite cheap. It's great for consumers, but maybe they could use some extra income at this time...?

CMetaphor July 18, 2008 10:17 AM

They didnt "loose" 1.2 billion, they lost like $200mil or so but then theres something their purchase of ATI and how it cost them that had to be re-estimated and lowered by 800mil. Hence, over 1Bil. (I dont pretend to understand these things though).

DarKStar July 18, 2008 10:28 AM

Reading the article it makes you worry - they are giving the crown to Intel for performance. Intel is closing in on them and unless AMD comes up with something to really compete against INtel on ALL grounds not just a few tests, then I would say AMD is in trouble. Aside from AMD, they have to start making better chipsets as well.
Yeah if AMD gose down that would be bad news - No competition = much much higher prices for your CPUs, much higher prices for your graphics card - this will be the END of the PC market as people will move to consoles.

CMetaphor July 18, 2008 10:30 AM

I think AMD is fine 4800- series is killer already, dont even have the X2 yet. Their graphics chips are used in both leading consoles (PS3/360) and their 780G is still the best HTPC/office system chipset you can get for the money. We just need their new architecture roll out and everything will be fine, vote for the underdog!!

magictorch July 18, 2008 10:37 AM

I think AMD has a way to go with its CPU/mainboard side but the 4series was a huge victory.

Plus they may reap some benefits from the ongoing Intel investigations in the EU. BBC NEWS | Business | EU hits Intel with fresh charges

Tazer-[X] July 20, 2008 12:57 PM

UltraSPARC
Power
Alpha
MIPS
Strong
Certainly wont be the first design to disapear. Most definitely The X86 processor should have been the first to go out of the fray. It is the most lacking design in every respect when compared to old companies that designed hevvy chips.

Killswitch July 20, 2008 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMetaphor (Post 70146)
Their graphics chips are used in both leading consoles (PS3/360)........

The Wii and 360 (which are the two top selling units) have ATI graphics chips. The PS3 has an nvidia chip.

Anyway, the 3800 series sold like hot cakes and you'd be a fool to think the 4800 series won't do the same. I can't wait for Deneb to arrive. AMD has my vote too! lol