Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 12, 2008, 12:27 PM
Allstar

Default Pre-overclocking questions

I'm hoping to get my Q6600 to 3.0 on air. The motherboard is a Gigabyte P35-DS4 (rev 2.1), ram is OCZ Reaper PC6400 4Gb 4-4-4-15 and I have a Scythe Katana 2. I'm thinking that since I don't have the best CPU cooler that it might help if I get another fan for it, and after reading the DS3 thread, I should probably get the Mini Kaze Ultra for the NB. So, to make my life simpler here are some short and sweet questions....

Mini Kaze Ultra for the NB?
New fan for the Scythe..if so what do you recommend. Noise levels are a bit of a concern.
Which bios version should I be running?

Since I'm already going to be picking up a fan or two I'm also looking to replace the front 120mm (2200rpm) stock fan that came with my case. There is a mid-high pitch sound from my computer that's driving me a bit crazy and I think that is the culprit. The case only comes with 2 120mm fans but I have room for 2 more 80mm that fit in the side panel as you can see in the picture below. There is room for a 3rd but I'm thinking that it would cause a cross flow problem with the 120mm if sucking air in, or not do a whole lot if it's sucking air out. Lastly, I'd like to have a fan or two that has blue LED's to get a little light in the case. I'm not sure if the best effect would be to get one for the Katana or the rear 120mm. I believe the 80mm go on the inside of that panel so that could be an option also. So much for the short and sweet

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old June 12, 2008, 09:16 PM
Allstar
F@H

Well, over clocking takes guts and judging by the picture, you ainít got none!

Iím not too familiar with that board, but thatís not too bad of a cooler.
Iíd start at stock speed and see what the temps are, if its ok, start cranking it up.
If it looks like its going to be a problem, then upgrade.
Pretty much standard procedureÖ.
Old June 14, 2008, 07:10 PM
Allstar

Thanks DK2, but I think I'd rather get some good fans in there and be able to do things right without having to wait for an order to come in.

No one has any suggestions at all? I'm starting to feel like I'm asking in the wrong place.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old June 14, 2008, 07:31 PM
MVP
F@H

The only way to increase the cooling power of a given cooler is to increase the speed of the air rushing past it, or rush colder air past it, or both. More wind = more noise, there isn't much give to that equation. Some fans may be moderately better than others, but really it comes down to the rotational speed of the fan.

You'd be MUCH better off with a more powerful cooler, and since they are about the cheapest component you can buy next to a fan, Its worth it. The difference between your cooler and the top-performing ones (ninja copper, or TRUE) will be noticeable. I went from a regular ninja to a copper one, and managed to drop about 10 degrees off load temps, which got me from 3.2 to 3.3 on an X2 5000+. No amount of extra air over the weaker cooler would have given me those results. It all comes down to surface area and material with coolers. The ninja copper is good because copper dissipates heat very evenly and quickly. Because the fin spacing is quite wide it is very quiet, there's not much friction to the air flowing through it. The TRUE is good because there are a crapload of fins, packed tightly together, and it is very well built making it very efficient.

That being said, if you are getting into overclocking, I'd suggest you just start at the top and skip all the intermediate steps. Of course I'm talking about watercooling. You might be happy with this cooler for awhile, then you'll buy a top-end cooler, then you'll buy more fans, then you'll buy entry level water, then you'll buy high end water.... its addictive. You might as well save all the money in between and just go straight for good-performing water setup.

80MM fans are loud as schnell and push about as much air as a mouse's breath. Change all your fans to 120mm, and make them all the exact same brand and model number. Having a bunch of different model fans 'seems' loud because each fan makes noise in a slightly different frequency band. If they're all the same, they all make the same sound, and your ears perceive it as quieter. Just think, you can hear your computer, and your fridge, and your furnace (all similar humms), but if they were all the exact same frequency, you wouldn't be able to tell if your computer was even on.

I wouldn't bother with any NB coolers just yet, if it really runs hot you can always cool it down with a 120mm fan rigged up somehow to blast air onto it. It would take a very hot NB to overheat with a 120mm fan blowing on it.

Some motherboards' NB run hot with certain cpus, some just don't. DFI motherboards tend to have hot-running northbridges, I don't know about yours. In either case, it shouldn't limit your OC potential too much unless you are running a crazy fast FSB/HTT. If you are just clocking the cpu using multipliers, the NB shouldn't get much hotter than it does stock.

Those grills on the 80mm fan holes are terribly restrictive, and they will scream when air goes through them. Cut them out for 120mm fans, trust me. In fact, if noise is at all a concern, cut out all the grilles for all the fans, the grille is the source of most of the noise a fan makes. If you don't believe me, plug in a fan, and hold it up in the air with nothing around it. Dead silent.

I don't know anything about your board but in general the latest bios is the most stable and the best for overclocking. Sometimes there is an older bios that might be a gem to reaching high FSB's or whatnot, but companies don't generally make overclocking worse with newer bios versions. Again this all depends if you are looking for a high motherboard overclock or if you are just using multipliers to get high CPU clock.

That enough for ya?
VIDEO: 3 x Visiontek HD3870
Old June 14, 2008, 07:48 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I run a Q6600 G0 on a P35C-DS3R using a Thermalright IFX-14, with 2 Scythe SFF21F fans. That setup at 3.4GHz gives a load temp of 51C. I used to have a few Giga boards, and all had hot-running NB blocks. No need to change it, just have a good fan next to it - a SpotCool makes a huge difference.
Old June 15, 2008, 08:20 AM
Allstar

Vinister, what can I say. Thanks a lot for your post. I know what you mean about things being addictive but at this point in time I just don't have the money to go water cooling. At least not yet :) I had a feeling that I should have gone with the Ninja copper but my budget was already blown by that point. I like that idea about having all the fans the same, I can see how something simple like that would make a big difference in noise levels. It's also something I probably would never have thought about.

I have no idea what I'm doing/going to do when it comes to actually overclocking. I don't remember the last time I even tried it and a lot of things have changed since then. From the reading I've done though I think I will be able to change the multiplyer.

3.0charlie: Nice OC! If I could get 3.4 on air I'd be really happy. It's good to see you are just running with 2 fans and a good cooler.

Thanks guys.