Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 3, 2018, 11:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Intel bungles big time!

Linky link

If this is true, then upcoming patches to fix the vulnerabilities are going to give Intel CPU's a 5-30% performance hit. And it effects CPU's all the way back to Sandy Bridge. That's massive!

Reading through this article, I'll admit that I don't follow everything discussed. But I followed enough to know that I'm REALLY glad I'm in the AMD camp at the moment.
Old January 3, 2018, 11:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

yeah, it will be interesting to see what the real performance hit is...and why there is a performance hit.

funky that AMD shares went up when they said they don't have that issue. LOL!
Old January 3, 2018, 11:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looks like the article has been updated with proof that the flaw exists. This is going to be a huge deal for some applications. Although I suspect gaming performance will be negligible in it's performance hit at worst.

Also, now that Intel CEO stock dump a couple weeks back is starting to look shady as hell...
Old January 3, 2018, 11:52 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
Looks like the article has been updated with proof that the flaw exists. This is going to be a huge deal for some applications. Although I suspect gaming performance will be negligible in it's performance hit at worst.

Also, now that Intel CEO stock dump a couple weeks back is starting to look shady as hell...
Yeah from what I have read so far, and correct me if there is new updated information.... but the performance looks to be in other areas and not gaming. But time will tell. I am curious if Microsoft will put a fix out for windows 7 or if they don't care at this point.
Old January 3, 2018, 12:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I read something earlier today which stated that AMD is pushing back against blanket patches which will be applied to all X86 processors instead of just targeting Intel ones. They're concerned that blanket patches will affect AMD performance.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old January 3, 2018, 01:06 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Here's another good article on it.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018...erous-patches/
Old January 3, 2018, 02:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do you think that this is the infamous NSA backdoor that was alleged to exist for years in the cpus?
Old January 3, 2018, 04:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
I followed enough to know that I'm REALLY glad I'm in the AMD camp at the moment.
Yeah, but if they apply blanket patches, the performance of your AMD cpu, which already lags behind Intel, is gonna be even worse!
Old January 3, 2018, 09:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

boooooooo!
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 3, 2018, 09:41 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Wow. One of the bugs affects AMD, but no the one that uses some kind of fancy prefetch to help performance, correct? (only Intel uses that one???)

I wonder what the benchmarkers and reviewers are thinking right now...will performance charts have to be updated?
Fold for team #54196