Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16, 2017, 05:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Colonel View Post
I'm hoping to get ya'lls opinion here on a somewhat unique use case here!

You see, I'm still rocking the Lynnfield (when was the last time you heard that?) era i7 860. This puppy has been serving me for 8 strong years (going on 9) and I've never had a complaint but without question, it is definitely time to upgade. SKYMTL even went so far as to say that Ivy/Sandy Bridgers should upgrade in his review so you can only imagine how I felt reading that line lol.

My unique use case is this, my PC runs 24/7 and its primarily a Plex server. I don't game very much on my PC anymore (life gets in the way) but I do try to play something once in awhile. When there's one or two streams going on at the same time, I can't do much aside from browsing and some light duty taskwork. So basically, gaming is pretty much out of the question when my PC is transcoding but fortunately my PC is still completely usable and does not come to a crawl.

I guess that's one of the reasons why I haven't upgraded yet even though I've been contemplating an upgrade for the last 1-2 years or so. Even though it bothers me sometimes that I can't game when Plex is doing its thing, it clearly hasn't been bad enough yet to force me to upgrade. I guess part of that has to do with my inconsistent gaming schedule.

So all that being said, I think its finally time to make a move... but should I continue to sit tight a little bit longer?

Based on all the numbers it seems like the i7 8700k is a better choice of the R7 1700X. Plex says that 1080p/10Mbps: 2000 PassMark. According to PassMark, the i7 8700k is on top despite having fewer cores. I'm not too sure how the i7 8700k will handle lets say 3 transcodes while I'm trying to play BF1 compared to the R7 1700X which has more cores.

Based on my criteria, should I get the 8700k come Black Friday/Boxing day or since I've held out this long, should I just simply wait for Ryzen 2 (or whatever it will be called) in Q1 2018 to make my choice? I'd love to hear everyone's opinions on this. It would definitely be easier waiting if I was on something that came out in the last 7 years so despite all that, I've been patient enough but don't mind continue waiting a little bit (ideally 6 more months or less) if it warrants it. Based on my current build, you can be sure I'll be keeping my new build for hopefully just as long as I have been right now.
An upgrade should definitely help you out, plus there's definitely feature changes since the 1156 chips. PCIe 3, USB 3 on the MB (which I think wasn't around for Lynnfield, but could be wrong), M2 SSD options etc.
I wouldn't expecte much of a sale on 8700k and it's MBs for Black Friday though, it's too close to release date still. You can probably get a couple pretty good deals on other components though like SSDs, PSUs or even the odd case.

Heck I'm not even sure Ryzens will have *great* deals yet. There'll be lots of 'sales' where it's 20-40$ off, but nothing that will beat you doing some basic price shopping. I could be wrong, but given how ho-hum the last couple of BFs were, I'm not expecting amazement.

I don't use Plex myself so I can't say how much it'll tax a modern machine, but there's also the option of keeping your old system just as a media server. The old Nehalem/Lynnfield machines are a bit too power hungry for my tastes on that (unless you need a space heater in a room....), while having a newer build as your main PC.
Old October 17, 2017, 01:52 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
An upgrade should definitely help you out, plus there's definitely feature changes since the 1156 chips. PCIe 3, USB 3 on the MB (which I think wasn't around for Lynnfield, but could be wrong), M2 SSD options etc.
I wouldn't expecte much of a sale on 8700k and it's MBs for Black Friday though, it's too close to release date still. You can probably get a couple pretty good deals on other components though like SSDs, PSUs or even the odd case.

Heck I'm not even sure Ryzens will have *great* deals yet. There'll be lots of 'sales' where it's 20-40$ off, but nothing that will beat you doing some basic price shopping. I could be wrong, but given how ho-hum the last couple of BFs were, I'm not expecting amazement.

I don't use Plex myself so I can't say how much it'll tax a modern machine, but there's also the option of keeping your old system just as a media server. The old Nehalem/Lynnfield machines are a bit too power hungry for my tastes on that (unless you need a space heater in a room....), while having a newer build as your main PC.
Thanks for the response! Yes I'm not expecting crazy good deals for BF/BD on the core components. Although the 1700X was just on sale for $389 recently on NewEgg, I'm sure if it were to go on sale again it'd be for this price (unless AMD announces price drops). I'm hoping for some nice deals on M2 SSDs, RAM etc.

You are very correct, there are definitely a few new things (putting it lightly) that I'm missing out on being on 1156 such as internal USB3 or even SATA3 just to name a few lol.

I've definitely thought about keeping my current PC as a server build but in all honesty, I don't know if I could get myself to manage two systems at the same time. Even though its as simple as changing the input on my monitor, I would definitely lean heavily one over the other all due to sheer laziness.

Pricing wise they're very close so I'll just keep on digging around forums and reviews
Old November 22, 2017, 10:05 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Those of you that already got their hands on a 8700K, what motherboard did you end up choosing?

How has it been so far?
Old December 4, 2017, 01:25 PM
Rookie

I just upgraded my i5-4590, Asus Z97-A/USb3.1 board/8GB ddr3 to i3-8100, Asrock Z370 Pro 4 board and 8GB DDR4, it is not for the speed but because DDR3 related gear's used market price is dropping fast during the past 6 months and there was a Black Friday deal. Quite happy now since total cost of this upgrade is only $140 after selling my Haswell combo.
Old December 4, 2017, 02:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove View Post
Those of you that already got their hands on a 8700K, what motherboard did you end up choosing?

How has it been so far?
I picked the Asus Prime Z370 A. I liked the look, I liked the fact that it had half decent looking heat sinks on the mosfets, it had a heat sink for an NVMe drive, and I generally have had good experiences with Asus products.

I just got the 8700k on Friday and I put it in with the intention of running stock for a week or two to ensure it works properly before I try to over clock it.

General impressions with the board are that it works fine. The heat sink on the NVMe drive tested well. I ran a couple of tests with the heat sink removed and installed and it does what it says it will do. Here is a bit more detail.

Asus Prime Z370-A MB m.2 heat sink

Once I try and overclock I will post some more, but overall it runs well.

The BIOS is pretty standard. They updated the BIOS at least 3 time so far, with the last update in early November. The system has been stable on Windows 10, so I guess the BIOS is fine.
Wife's Rig - MSI GL72M 7RDX
Old December 5, 2017, 07:09 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

MSI 370-A was the cheapest, and that's the one I got. I am not sure how to differentiate between MBs once they are in the box. Plenty of fan headers?
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB + HGST 5400RPM 2TB
Evga GTX 1080 FTW 8GB + BenQ BL3201PH 4K 32"