Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 5, 2017, 04:42 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 486 View Post
I am really an old guy. I cannot understand why certain part which goes inside a box has to look good.
How old? I'm 32 and think caring about internal parts' looks, to the point of not buying something just for that reason, is simply dumb. I'd rather have an ugly, well performer than a pretty, slow part.

It is a way for companies to take advantage and sell their "good looking" parts though.
Old October 5, 2017, 07:02 PM
MVP

The main point of this is ,(In Gaming) unless your processor reinvents the wheel its quite hard to get away from the superiority of pure MHZ , this is especially true if you can acquire those MHZ without serious heat issues.

But at the same time one has to look at some other things.

in video games yes these processors push the #'s but how much really ? lets say we start at 0-fps to max fps how many % or numbers ? how many actual FPS more does this processor give you over last gen intel or more so new gen AMD units that have far more cores for other uses and also future advancement potential?

I say this because those higher cores and efficiency they represent in the over all processing of things is larger than you get via just gaming or single thread based performance and i say that because those situations are limited to scenarios.

I'm not pushing either it's been quite some time though since games for example have pushed the unlimited thread = more performance agenda.
2500k @ 4.7GHz -Guest PC
3570K @ 4.5 -HTPC
MSI GT70-2OC/770m-998/4800MHz -Laptop
SF101 HW BOT
Crossfired [email protected]/1500mhz-EKWB (Main)|[email protected]/1850 (HTPC)
MSI 970GTX (Guest) ||[email protected]/2000 (work)
Old October 6, 2017, 05:24 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
I didn't notice that info since it was hidden in the OC part.

Thanks. Great approach. It's worth mentioning in the review.

4.1 GHz, I wonder if it could do 4.3 with above 60% fan speed, or a better cooler.

By the way, is that "Noctua NH-S12" a typo in the Test Setups page then? It should be NH-U12S, right?
Yeah, it didn't even occur to me that MCE could skew the results. I just naturally disable it.

And you are correct, that's a typo!
Old October 6, 2017, 07:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The games however do not see any improvements over 4 cores, so for a gamer this is not very appealing. The only good real upgrade reason would be if you want to jump on the nvme bandwagon, and going for a new i5 you get 50% more processing power than before, so this would be good for the occasional or starter photo/video producer as i see these software are still better running on Intel than AMD.
Old October 6, 2017, 07:27 AM

Games love IPC improvements too and that's where the Kaby / Coffee Lake generation can offer some pretty tangible benefits for Sandy / Ivy Bridge users.
Old October 6, 2017, 07:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
The games however do not see any improvements over 4 cores, *snip*
I still think this is going to change though in the not too distant future. I know I know, I've been on that soap box before.
Old October 6, 2017, 08:09 AM

Monday / Tuesday follow up content: i7-2600K vs 8700K. Overclocked and stock of course.

Any requests for settings, etc? I'll be using a more "basic" GTX 1060 for this one since there has been some complaints about the use of a TITAN XP in the reviews.

Considering an 8700K + mobo + memory will likely put you back (~$700) $360+$150+$150 I was thinking of adding in the 2600K + GTX 1080 Ti as a comparison that looks at JUST upgrading the GPU for less money.
Old October 6, 2017, 08:33 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Monday / Tuesday follow up content: i7-2600K vs 8700K. Overclocked and stock of course.

Any requests for settings, etc? I'll be using a more "basic" GTX 1060 for this one since there has been some complaints about the use of a TITAN XP in the reviews.

Considering an 8700K + mobo + memory will likely put you back (~$700) $360+$150+$150 I was thinking of adding in the 2600K + GTX 1080 Ti as a comparison that looks at JUST upgrading the GPU for less money.
Hey man,

I think the dual perspective makes sense too. One where you try to remove GPU as the bottleneck as much as possible.

The other perspective where bang for the buck comes into play more. I'm pretty sure i7-2600k + 1080ti is going to always win vs new platform + oldy grody GPU. But it's nice to show it to readers as well.

It also keeps AMD "in the game" if someone wants the best overall balance on a tight budget. AMD Ryzen 6C/12t + B350 is always going to provide you with a better overall gaming experience if the reader has a budget wall.

Last edited by Bao; October 6, 2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old October 6, 2017, 08:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

This would be the most interesting to me personally. Moving into a new (and at this time expensive) memory format along with motherboard+processor is always a hurdle for folks who prefer to do incremental upgrades. Last time I was in this situation I ended up with an asrock frankenboard that allowed me to continue using my old memory with a new C2D processor....

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old October 6, 2017, 08:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

I like both these options. Give a very clear picture of performance:cost for someone looking to upgrade.

The only issue I can see is graphic quality settings. Would you keep them the same between both setups? I think for comparative sake that would be the best idea. Apples to apples with the hardware being the Oranges.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about