Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 5, 2017, 11:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 486 View Post
A week ago I got 2x4GB 3200 DDR4 GSkill from Newegg at 55 CAD. Half-price. There was only a single package though, and I needed two. It seems Newegg sells off left-overs at decent discount. Lucky purchase.
We (the mods) talked about this in shoutbox the other day, but realistically I wouldn't go below 16gb, and a few of the mods are saying 32gb should be the new norm (I have 24gb currently).

2x4gb isnt a lot of ram any more for most things people do day to day. Heck, a lot of games burn that by themselves, and I dont want to get back in to the age of having to exit everything humanly possible just to run a game or photoshop.
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old October 5, 2017, 12:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
Cannonlake has been expected to be mobile only for some time, and at this point it appears to be rolled into this multi generation 8th Gen family (Kaby Lake refresh mobile, Coffee Lake desktop, Cannon Lake mobile). It's continued delays have seen it go from the "8 core desktop" (VERY early on) to "desktop" to "mobile only".

Ice Lake is being aimed towards Aug-Sept timeframe unless there's a delay. Tiger Lake is 2019. Sapphire Rapids is 2020 (new uarch).

If you don't need anything now, sure, wait? If you need something now, might as well get a Coffee Lake or Ryzen 7 depending on your exact needs. You may even want to consider a 7800X or 1900X if you actually need more PCI-E lanes.
Ah Vittra, you're always so practical! There's that nasty "need" word again!

Thanks for the clarification. So Ice Lake could be Aug-Sep 2018? Hmm. I guess the old IT adage that you can wait forever for the next best thing and never get anything still holds!

For me what happens with Star Citizen (throw no stones please) and their use of more cores is a real driver for me upgrading. Otherwise I don't need an upgrade, especially given that with the 1080 Ti now my current system chews up any released game I currently play. If Star Citizen gets its optimization figured out and shows performance benefits above 4c/8t CPUs then that is what will push me to upgrade.

Hard to believe my shiny Devil's Canyon 4790K is already 4 generations old!
Old October 5, 2017, 12:19 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Intel's Coffee Lake is here....
You wrote this in the review:
Quote:
Aside from manually selecting memory frequencies and timings, every option in the BIOS was at its default setting.
Since this is an Asus board, am I to assume that Multicore Enhancement was enabled? This option would lock all 6 cores to the max turbo clock, 4.7 GHz in the case of 8700K.

Were the benchmarks run at that speed? The very high cinebench MT score is sort of telling.
Old October 5, 2017, 12:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

SKYMTL will answer soon I'm sure, but on my previous Gene Z170 and current Hero Z270 boards multicore enhancement wasn't on by default. One caveat though:

If you enable XMP, it asks if you want to run Asus optimized (Multicore enhancement) or Intel default (stock operation).

In the past, it would enabling XMP would just assume that's what you wanted to do and turn it on. Some Asus boards did default it to on since it was an "Auto" setting that was making a determination based on other variables set in the BIOS/UEFI.

Old October 5, 2017, 12:28 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I agree Sagath, I am on 4x8GB myself. I was aiming to get 2x8GB for a kid, but there is no give to those prices out there. Then 2x4GB deal popped up. It should be fine for a while, kid is just gaming in Overwatch. Later I will add another 2x4GB and call it a day. 16GB should be enough for anyone :)
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB + HGST 5400RPM 2TB
Evga GTX 1080 FTW 8GB + BenQ BL3201PH 4K 32"
Old October 5, 2017, 01:00 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
You wrote this in the review:
Since this is an Asus board, am I to assume that Multicore Enhancement was enabled? This option would lock all 6 cores to the max turbo clock, 4.7 GHz in the case of 8700K.

Were the benchmarks run at that speed? The very high cinebench MT score is sort of telling.
What I always do is load optimized defaults, manually set all memory frequencies / timings and then disable all the "enhancements". That includes the MCE, Ryzen's Cinebench optimization, etc.

As I said in the review:

Quote:
That’s a pretty respectable result when you consider this particular i7-8700K hovered around 4.1GHz with all its cores loaded.
Old October 5, 2017, 01:17 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
What I always do is load optimized defaults, manually set all memory frequencies / timings and then disable all the "enhancements". That includes the MCE, Ryzen's Cinebench optimization, etc.

As I said in the review:
Quote:
Thatís a pretty respectable result when you consider this particular i7-8700K hovered around 4.1GHz with all its cores loaded.
I didn't notice that info since it was hidden in the OC part.

Thanks. Great approach. It's worth mentioning in the review.

4.1 GHz, I wonder if it could do 4.3 with above 60% fan speed, or a better cooler.

By the way, is that "Noctua NH-S12" a typo in the Test Setups page then? It should be NH-U12S, right?
Old October 5, 2017, 01:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Just for fun I was looking at Z370 mobos on Newegg and came across the MSI Z370 Godlike: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...-104-_-Product

Only 623.99 plus tax and shipping.
Old October 5, 2017, 03:29 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Just for fun I was looking at Z370 mobos on Newegg and came across the MSI Z370 Godlike: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...-104-_-Product

Only 623.99 plus tax and shipping.
It is a really good looking board. One of the things that really bothers me w/ hardware these days, if you want a good looking board, you have to shell out a lot of cash for 11ty 'features' you'll never end up using.
Old October 5, 2017, 04:07 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I am really an old guy. I cannot understand why certain part which goes inside a box has to look good. I remember times when overclocking meant getting the cheap part and running it reliably at the specs of expensive part. Now it is all about getting ridiculously expensive part, turning it up so it is no longer useful, then bragging about it. So shallow. Apologies for the rant. Yeah, hurrah for the Godlike.
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB + HGST 5400RPM 2TB
Evga GTX 1080 FTW 8GB + BenQ BL3201PH 4K 32"